Adrian Gerlich is an Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering and part of the Waterloo Centre for Automotive Research at the university. He is affiliated with the Canadian Welding Association, American Welding Society, and the Society of Manufacturing Engineers Canada.
Professor Gerlich’s research interests are in the physical metallurgy of welded components, friction stir welding and processing, roll bonding, overlay welding, and material characterization of light alloys, steels, and metal matrix composites using quantitative electron microscopy.
His current efforts focus mainly on welding metallurgy of high strength steels, and dissimilar metal joining for transportation applications. To-date he has published over 60 journal papers, and 25 conference papers.
- Physical Metallurgy Of Welded Components
- Mechanical Properties Of Pipeline Welds
- Friction Stir Welding Of Dissimilar Materials
- Materials Characterization Using Quantitative Electron Microscopy
- Roll Bonding
- Overlay Welding
- Additive Manufacturing
- Advanced Manufacturing
- 2007, Doctorate, Materials Science and Engineering, University of Toronto
- 2003, Bachelor's, Materials Science and Engineering, University of Toronto
- ME 115 - Structure and Properties of Materials
- Taught in 2013, 2016, 2017
- ME 632 - Experimental Methods in Materials Engineering
- Taught in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- ME 230 - Control of Properties of Materials
- Taught in 2014, 2015, 2016
- Farshidianfar, Mohammad H and Khajepour, Amir and Gerlich, Adrian P, Effect of real-time cooling rate on microstructure in Laser Additive Manufacturing, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 231, 2016, 468 - 478
- Huda, Nazmul and Midawi, Abdelbaset RH and Gianetto, James and Lazor, Robert and Gerlich, Adrian P, Influence of martensite-austenite (MA) on impact toughness of X80 line pipe steels, Materials Science and Engineering: A, 662, 2016, 481 - 491
- Khodabakhshi, F and Simchi, A and Kokabi, AH and Gerlich, AP, Similar and dissimilar friction-stir welding of an PM aluminum-matrix hybrid nanocomposite and commercial pure aluminum: Microstructure and mechanical properties, Materials Science and Engineering: A, 666, 2016, 225 - 237
- Marques, LFN and Santos, EBF and Gerlich, AP and Braga, EM, Fatigue life assessment of weld joints manufactured by GMAW and CW-GMAW processes, Science and Technology of Welding and Joining, 2016, 1 - 10