David Johnson is a Professor in the Department of Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering at the University of Waterloo.
His research interests are in the development and application of Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV) to flows, the measurement techniques for internal flows, the turbulent recirculation flows, jet and nozzle flows, wind energy and wind turbines, large scale PIV and measurement techniques, as well as the incompressible flow turbomachinery.
Professor Johnson currently leads, and is also the founder of, the Wind Energy Research Group (WEG) at the university. The WEG works with wind turbine aerodynamics and aeroacoustics (noise). Professor Johnson and his team have several publications on incompressible flow turbomachinery, pump internal velocity measurements, fan design and performance measurement, and experimental and numerical studies of turbulent recirculating flows. Ever since working at the Ontario Hydro Research Division in the late 1980s, Professor Johnson has been involved in renewable energy research in Canada and Denmark.
In addition, he has lectured and published widely on measurement techniques for wind turbine aerodynamics, the performance of turbine airfoils, as well as developed innovative aeroacoustic measurement techniques for wind turbines.
- Fluid Mechanics
- Wind Energy and Wind Turbines
- Large Scale PIV and Measurement Techniques
- Pump and Fan Design and Testing
- Wind Energy
- Renewable Energy
- 1994, Doctorate, Mechanical Engineering, McMaster University
- 1988, Master's, Mechanical Engineering, McMaster University
- 1986, Bachelor's, Mechanical Engineering, McMaster University
- ME 351 - Fluid Mechanics 1
- Taught in 2014, 2017, 2018, 2019
- ME 770 - Special Topics in Numerical Methods, Fluid Flow and Heat Transfer
- Taught in 2015
- ME 563 - Turbomachines
- Taught in 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019
- ME 761 - Fluid Dynamic Design of Turbomachines
- Taught in 2014, 2018
- ME 765 - Special Topics in Fluid Mechanics
- Taught in 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
- Johnson, David A and Gu, Mingyao and Gaunt, Brian, Wind Turbine Performance in Controlled Conditions: BEM Modeling and Comparison with Experimental Results, International Journal of Rotating Machinery, 2016, 2016
- Moscardi, Andrea and Johnson, David A, A compact in-blade five hole pressure probe for local inflow study on a horizontal axis wind turbine, Wind Engineering, 2016
- TE Gallant, DA Johnson, In-blade angle of attack measurement and comparison with models, Journal of Physics: Conference Series 753 (7), 072007, 2016
- Gharali, K. and Johnson, David A. and Lam, V. and Gu, M., A 2D Blade Element Study of a Wind Turbine Rotor Under Yaw Loads, WIND ENGINEERING, 39(5), 2015, 557 - 568
- Gharali, Kobra and Johnson, David A and Lam, Vivian and Gu, Mingyao, A 2D Blade Element Study of a Wind Turbine Rotor Under Yaw Loads, Wind Engineering, 39(5), 2015, 557 - 567