Fue-Sang Lien is a Professor in the Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering department. Professor Lien is also the head of Waterloo Computational Fluid Dynamics Engineering Consulting.
His research interests include computational fluid dynamics, turbulence modeling, wind engineering and dispersion, aerodynamics and aeroacoustics.
Professor Lien was a member of the Scientific Committee in the 4th International Symposium on Wind Engineering in 2006. He was also a member of the Computational Fluid Dynamics Society of Canada from 1998-2006 and a member of the International and National Scientific Committee in the 5th International Conference on Computational Heat and Mass Transfer.
Professor Lien is currently a member of IMMERSE – The Research Network for Video Game Immersion. His expertise lies in using simulations (namely, Computational Fluid Dynamics) in virtual worlds to train first responders in response to chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear and explosive catastrophic events, and is interested in working on improving the learning experience by employing serious game technologies.
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Urban Flow and Dispersion Modelling
- Turbulence Modeling and Large Eddy Simulation
- Free-Surface Flow
- Buoyancy-Driven Flow
- Turbomachinery Flow
- Unsteady Combustion
- Inverse Problem
- 1992, Doctorate, Mechanical Engineering, University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology
- 1984, Master's, Mechanical Engineering, National Cheng Kung University
- 1982, Bachelor's, Mechanical Engineering, National Cheng Kung University
- MTE 202 - Ordinary Differential Equations
- Taught in 2014, 2018
- ME 663 - Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Taught in 2015, 2018
- ME 566 - Computational Fluid Dynamics for Engineering Design
- Taught in 2014, 2015, 2016
- ME 362 - Fluid Mechanics 2
- Taught in 2016
- ME 564 - Aerodynamics
- Taught in 2014, 2015, 2016
- Men, Zhongxian and Yee, Eugene and Lien, Fue-Sang and Wen, Deyong and Chen, Yongsheng, Short-term wind speed and power forecasting using an ensemble of mixture density neural networks, Renewable Energy, 87, 2016, 203 - 211
- Mo, Huangrui and Lien, Fue-Sang and Zhang, Fan and Cronin, Duane S, A sharp interface immersed boundary method for solving flow with arbitrarily irregular and changing geometry, arXiv preprint arXiv:1602.06830, 2016
- Nam, JW and Lien, FS, Assessment of ghost-cell based cut-cell method for large-eddy simulations of compressible flows at high Reynolds number, International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, 53, 2015, 1 - 14
- Ji, Hua and Lien, Fue-Sang and Zhang, Fan, A GPU-accelerated adaptive mesh refinement for immersed boundary methods, Computers & Fluids, 118, 2015, 131 - 147
- Wang, Bing-Chen and Yee, Eugene and Lien, Fue-Sang, Turbulent dispersion of a passive scalar in a staggered array of cubes, Numerical Heat Transfer, Part B: Fundamentals, 67(4), 2015, 281 - 301