Mary Wells is a Professor in the Department of Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering.
Professor Wells’ research focuses on the development and manufacturing of advanced metallic products used in the transportation sector. This involves developing mathematical models of the manufacturing processes used to make the metallic products, as well as understanding the microstructure and property changes that occur in the material. A materials final properties and structure depend on the process or manufacturing history such as thermal and deformation conditions. The mathematical models developed help manufacturers design casting and deformation processes that optimize a metal’s microstructure.
Professor Wells and her colleagues are working on the development of new processes to create laminate or clad metallic products via casting or deformation. The product resulting from these process are ones where the products surface will have different properties from its core, for example, a surface that is designed for corrosion and a core that is tailored for strength.
- Process Modelling
- Hot Deformation Of Metallic Materials
- Casting Of Light Metals
- Boiling Water Heat Transfer
- Microstructure/Processing Models
- Digital Factories
- Lightweight Materials
- Structural Crashworthiness
- Additive Manufacturing
- 1996, Doctorate, Metals and Materials Engineering, University of British Columbia
- 1987, Bachelor's, Metallurgical Engineering, McGill University
- ME 340 - Manufacturing Processes
- Taught in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- ME 738 - Special Topics in Materials
- Taught in 2017
- Wei, Guobing and Mahmoodkhani, Yahya and Peng, Xiaodong and Hadadzadeh, Amir and Xu, Tiancai and Liu, Junwei and Xie, Weidong and Wells, Mary A, Microstructure evolution and simulation study of a duplex Mg--Li alloy during Double Change Channel Angular Pressing, Materials & Design, 90, 2016, 266 - 275
- Di Ciano, Massimo and Weckman, DC and Wells, MA, Development of an Analog System to Simulate Interface Formation During Fusion™ Casting, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B, 47(2), 2016, 905 - 919
- Mahmoodkhani, Yahya and Wells, Mary A, Co-extrusion process to produce Al--Mg eutectic clad magnesium products at elevated temperatures, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 232, 2016, 175 - 183
- Wei, Guo-bing and Peng, Xiao-dong and Hu, Fa-ping and Hadadzadeh, Amir and Yan, YANG and Xie, Wei-dong and Wells, Mary A, Deformation behavior and constitutive model for dual-phase Mg--Li alloy at elevated temperatures, Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China, 26(2), 2016, 508 - 518
- Hadadzadeh, Amir and Wells, Mary A and Javaid, Amjad, Warm and Hot Deformation Behavior of As-Cast ZEK100 Magnesium Alloy, Experimental Mechanics, 56(2), 2016, 259 - 271