Additive manufacturing or industrial 3D printing is rapidly changing the manufacturing landscape. Dr. Vlasea’s research focuses on innovative design, process optimization and adoption of new materials for powder bed fusion and powder bed binder jetting additive manufacturing processes. The research goals are to bridge the technological gaps necessary to improve part quality, process repeatability and reliability.
- Developing digital design software tools
- Monitoring and controls strategies
- Power bed fusion
- Power bed binder jetting
- Material extrusion technologies
- Advanced manufacturing
- Additive manufacturing
- 2014, Doctorate, Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering, University of Waterloo
- 2011, Other, Space Studies Program, International Space University
- 2008, Bachelor of Applied Science, Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering, University of Waterloo
- ME 262 - Introduction to Microprocessors and Digital Logic
- Taught in 2014, 2017
- MTE 262 - Introduction to Microprocessors and Digital Logic
- Taught in 2015, 2016, 2017
- ME 561 - Fluid Power Control Systems
- Taught in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- ME 739 - Manufacturing Processes Topics
- Taught in 2018
- Rogalsky A, Rishmawi I, Brock L, Vlasea M, Low cost irregular feed stock for laser powder bed fusion, Journal of Manufacturing Processes, 35, 2018, 446 - 456
- Liravi F, Vlasea M, Data Related to the Experimental Design for Powder Bed Binder Jetting Additive Manufacturing of Silicone, Data in Brief, 18, 2018, 1477 - 1483
- Wheat E, Vlasea M, Hinebaugh J, Metcalfe C, Data related to the sinter structure analysis of titanium structures fabricated via binder jetting additive manufacturing, Data in Brief, 20, 2018, 1029 - 1038
- Ali U, Mahmoodkhani Y, Shahabad SI, Esmaeilizadeh R, Liravi F, Sheydaeian E, Huang KY, Marzbanrad E, Vlasea M, Toyserkani E, On the measurement of relative powder-bed compaction density in powder-bed additive manufacturing processes, Materials and Design, 155, 2018, 495 - 501
- Wheat E, Vlasea M, Hinebaugh J, Metcalfe C, Sinter structure analysis of titanium structures fabricated via binder jetting additive manufacturing, Materials and Design, 156, 2018, 167 - 183
- Asgari H, Salarian M, Ma H, Olubamiji A, Vlasea M, On thermal expansion behavior of invar alloy fabricated by modulated laser powder bed fusion, Materials and Design, 160, 2018, 895 - 905
- Rishmawi I, Salarian M, Vlasea M, Tailoring green and sintered density of pure iron parts using binder jetting additive manufacturing, Journal of Additive Manufacturing, 24, 2018, 508 - 520
- Liravi F, Vlasea M, Powder Bed Binder Jetting Additive Manufacturing of Silicone Structures, Journal of Additive Manufacturing, 21, 2018, 112 - 124
- Sheydaeian E, Fishman Z, Vlasea M, Toyserkani E, On the effect of throughout layer thickness variation on properties of additively manufactured cellular titanium structures, Journal of Additive Manufacturing, 18, 2017, 40 - 47
- Sheydaeian, Esmat and Vlasea, Mihaela and Woo, Ami and Pilliar, Robert and Hu, Eugene and Toyserkani, Ehsan, Effect of glycerol concentrations on the mechanical properties of additive manufactured porous calcium polyphosphate structures for bone substitute applications, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part B: Applied Biomaterials, 2016
- Vlasea, Mihaela and Toyserkani, Ehsan and Pilliar, Robert, Effect of gray scale binder levels on additive manufacturing of porous scaffolds with heterogeneous properties, International Journal of Applied Ceramic Technology, 12(1), 2015, 62 - 70
- Vlasea, Mihaela and Pilliar, Robert and Toyserkani, Ehsan, Control of structural and mechanical properties in bioceramic bone substitutes via additive manufacturing layer stacking orientation, Additive Manufacturing, 6, 2015, 30 - 38
- Rishmawi I, Salarian M, Vlasea M, Maximizing Green and Sintered Density of Pure Iron Parts using Binder Jetting Additive Manufacturing, HI-AM Conference, 05 2018, Waterloo, Canada, 1 - 7
- Ertay DS, Ma H, Vlasea M, Correlative Beam Path and Pore Defect Space Analysis for Modulated Powder Bed Laser Fusion Process, Solid Freeform Fabrication Symposium, 08 2018, Austin, Texas, 272 - 284
- Rishmawi I, Salarian M, Vlasea M, Binder Jetting Additive Manufacturing of Water-Atomized Iron, Solid Freeform Fabrication Symposium, 08 2018, Austin, Texas, 160 - 170
- Ertay DS, Vlasea M, Defect Space Analysis for Invar36 in Powder Bed Laser Fusion Process, HI-AM Conference, 05 2018, Waterloo, Canada, 1 - 6
- Shanbhag G, Vlasea M, A review of particle packing models - current understanding and future direction, HI-AM Conference, 05 2018, Waterloo, Canada, 1 - 5
- Ertay DS, Erkorkmaz K, Vlasea M, Geometric Modeling of Powder Fed Laser Fusion Process with 2D Toolpaths, Virtual Machining Process Technology, 06 2018, Hamilton, Canada, 1 - 6
- Patel S, Vlasea M, Prediction of Melting Mode Transition in Powder Bed Laser Fusion, HI-AM Conference, 05 2018, Waterloo, Canada, 1 - 5
- Brock L, Asgari H, Vlasea M, Preliminary work on the selective laser melting of AlSi10Mg for fabrication of an aluminum transmission pump housing, HI-AM Conference, 05 2018, Waterloo, Canada, 1 - 11
- Ureten E, Vlasea M, Wilett T, Daim T, Chapter 5: Emerging Technology Assessment: Case of Additive Manufacturing for Titanium Hip Implant Fabrication, Emerging Technologies, Elsevier,
- Vlasea M, Democratization of Additive Manufacturing through Research, 10 , University of Guelph.
- Vlasea M, Delvecchio SM, Elliott A, Fielding J, Dispelling the Myths in Additive Manufacturing - Technology Panel, 04 , Fort Worth, TX.
- Brandt M, Grylls R, Gorham R, Barnes J, Vlasea M, Future of Additive Manufacturing - Technology Panel, 04 , Fort Worth, TX.
- Dekker C, Vlasea M, Cota V, Business and Design Considerations for Additive Manufacturing Workshop, 06 , Toronto, Canada.
- Vlasea M, Knowledge Bar - Failed Builds in Additive Manufacturing, 04 , Fort Worth, TX.
- Vlasea M, Navigating Through the AM Body of Knowledge, Southern Ontario Defence Association, 03 2018, Kitchener, Canada. (Accepted in 2018)
- Roglasky A, Rishmawi I, Brock L, Vlasea M, Low cost Irregular Feed Stock for Laser Powder Bed Fusion, RAPID Conference, 04 2018, Fort Worth, TX. (Accepted in 2018)
- Shanbhag G, Rishmawi I, Vlasea M, Helicopter Tail Boom Redesign proposed for Big Area Additive Manufacturing (BAAM), (Accepted in 2018)
- Brock L, Zhu Y Vlasea M, Biodegradable mushroom packaging made by binder jetting, (Accepted in 2018)
- Vlasea M, Lowering additive manufacturing technology adoption barriers through research, 10 , Waterloo, Canada.