This page includes information on co-op evaluations and other work term submissions, as well as helpful guides and sample evaluations for Pharmacy students and employers.
Important work term submission dates: Fall 2021 [PDF]
There are two evaluations co-op supervisors are required to complete for their students. Due dates for the employer’s portion of both evaluations are the same.
1. Co-op Student Performance Evaluation
The Co-op Student Performance Evaluation is required by Co-operative and Experiential Education (CEE) for all Waterloo co-op students (including non-pharmacy co-op students). It assesses the student’s soft skills and how well the student is performing the duties assigned. To receive co-op credit, students need at least a “marginal” rating.
- Midpoint – Employer reviews the Co-op Student Performance Evaluation with the student. Discuss with the student any deficiencies or areas to work on during the last half of the work term. The midpoint is not submitted to the School.
- Final – Employer completes the final evaluation and submits it to the University online via WaterlooWorks. Ensure students retain a copy for their records in case submissions are lost in transmission.
2. PharmD Co-op Inventory of Skills Evaluation
The PharmD Co-op Inventory of Skills Evaluation assesses four skills:
- Professionalism and Communication for every student in any work place setting
- Distribution for first or second work term students in a distribution setting
- Direct Patient Care for second or third work term students in a patient care setting
Students must complete the Distribution and Direct Patient Care portion at least once during their degree, keeping in mind that some positions may not have a distribution or direct patient care focus at all. In each section of the evaluation, the questions or competencies are used as a guide to give the student an overall rating. To achieve a passing grade the student must achieve at least “Good” on the overall distribution or patient care section. It is understood that not all workplace settings may meet all competencies, but are used as a guide for the overall assessment.
Other Work Term Submissions
In addition to co-op evaluations, there are other items that must be completed by students and employers during the co-op work term.
Submissions for Students
1. Register workplace with the Ontario College of Pharmacists (OCP)
Student who are working in Ontario AND dispensing drugs or providing patient care must register their workplace with OCP. To add a work place, students must login to their OCP account. See our guide to register workplace with OCP.
2. Supervisor contact information form in CORE ELMS
Student will receive an email with a link to complete the form in CORE ELMS. Supervisor contact information is required so we can forward your supervisor a link to complete the PharmD Co-op Inventory of Skills Evaluation. This evaluation must be completed to receive PDPHRM credit.
3. Co-op eCheckIn
Students are required to complete the Co-op eCheckIn, otherwise their name will be added to a tracking list. eCheckIn asks a few brief questions to see how the work term is going. Based on the response, it may trigger an automatic follow-up request. For any serious issues on co-op, do not wait to receive eCheckIn. Email email@example.com right away. eCheckIn is sent via Waterloo email. Student must redirect Waterloo email to preferred email address via Quest to ensure receipt.
4. Pharmacy Professional Development (PDPHRM) Reflective Assignment in LEARN
Students will have one reflective assignment to complete during each co-op work term for PDPHRM credit. The assignment is submitted to the appropriate PDPHRM drop box in LEARN and evaluated by the School of Pharmacy. The assignment should be completed in MS Word or uploaded as a PDF and address the specific questions outlined in the assignment instructions. It is not meant to be a free-form diary.
5. Student feedback of site and supervisor in CORE ELMS
Students are asked to complete the Feedback of Site and Supervisor survey in CORE ELMS at the end of their work term.
Submission for Employers
1. Co-op site and supervisor information form in CORE ELMS
Employers will receive an email with a link to complete the form in CORE ELMS. To ensure the continuing quality of student co-op experiences, we are collecting information from sites and supervisors regarding specific aspects of the student’s work term. This form will need to be updated periodically and any changes to the original submission should be indicated via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Supervisor feedback of co-op program in CORE ELMS
Employers are asked to complete the Supervisor Feedback of Co-op Program survey in CORE ELMS at the end of the work term. This evaluation is optional but highly recommended.