The School of Public Health and Health Systems is a division of the Faculty of Applied Health Sciences
Assistant Clinical Professor of Medicine, McMaster University
Office: TJB 2264
Phone: 519-888-4567, ext. 31028
Assistant: Nisreen Murad
Primary panelist, Canadian Cardiovascular Society Consensus Conference Recommendations on Heart Failure (2005-current)
- management of heart failure in long term care and other frail seniors
- primary care management of dementia
- home care safety
- vascular aging
Lead geriatrician for the Waterloo Wellington LHIN
Heart Failure management in the frail elderly, and long-term care residents, with current funding from the HSFO and prior funding from CIHR.
- Chronic disease
Bachelor of Engineering Physics (Laval University, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada, 1988)
Master of Mathematics (Computer Science) University of Waterloo
Doctor of Medicine, University of Toronto (1991)
Internal Medicine residency University of Toronto (1995)
Geriatric Medicine Residency McMaster University
Ontario Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, with specialist certification in Internal Medicine (1999)
Geriatric Medicine Master of Science (Health Research Methodology, McMaster University 2006)
Selected recent publications
- Foebel AD, Heckman GA, Hirdes JP, Tyas SL, Tjam EY, McKelvie RS, Maxwell CJ. Clinical, Demographic and Functional Characteristics Associated with Pharmacotherapy for Heart Failure among Older Home Care Clients. Drugs and Aging. Drugs Aging. 2011 Jul 1;28(7):561-73.
- McLeod J, McMurray J, Walker J, Heckman G, Stolee P. Care transitions for older patients with musculoskeletal disorders: continuity from the provider’s perspective. International Journal of Integrated Care. 2011 Apr;11:e014.
- McKelvie RS, Moe GW, Cheung A, Costigan J, Ducharme A, Estrella-Holder E, Ezekowitz JA, Floras J, Giannetti N, Grzeslo A, Harkness K, Heckman GA, Howlett JG, Kouz S, Leblanc K, Mann E, O'Meara E, Rajda M, Rao V, Simon J, Swiggum E, Zieroth S, Arnold JM, Ashton T, D'Astous M, Dorian P, Haddad H, Isaac DL, Leblanc MH, Liu P, Sussex B, Ross HJ. The 2011 Canadian cardiovascular society heart failure management guidelines update: focus on sleep apnea, renal dysfunction, mechanical circulatory support, and palliative care. Can J Cardiol. 2011 May-Jun;27(3):319-38.
- Heckman GA. Integrated care for the frail elderly. Healthcare Papers 2011;11:62-8.
- Foebel AD, Hirdes JP, Heckman GA, Tyas SL, Tjam EY. A profile of older community-dwelling home care clients with heart failure in Ontario. Chronic Diseases in Canada. 2011 Mar;31(2):49-57.
- Harkness K, Demers C, Heckman GA, McKelvie RS. Screening for Cognitive Deficits Using the Montreal Cognitive Assessment Tool in Outpatients ≥65 Years of Age With Heart Failure. Am J Cardiol. 2011 Feb 9. [Epub ahead of print]
- Tjam EY, Heckman GA, Smith S, Arai B, Hirdes J, Poss J, McKelvie RS. Predicting heart failure mortality in frail seniors: Comparing the NYHA functional classification with the Resident Assessment Instrument (RAI)2.0. Int J Cardiol. 2011 Feb 1. [Epub ahead of print]