The School of Public Health and Health Systems is a division of the Faculty of Applied Health Sciences
No longer supervising new students
BSc Pharmacy (1964, Rhodes University - South Africa)
MA Psychology (1974, University of Waterloo)
PhD Psychology - Behavioural Neuroscience (1977, University of Waterloo)
Behavioural neuroscience with an emphasis on pharmacology and teratology, research methodology.
Developmental psychobiology with an emphasis on nutrition (essential fatty acids) and drugs (ethanol).
Major funding sources
- Wainwright, P. E. Dietary essential fatty acids and brain function: A developmental perspective on mechanisms. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society. 2002, 61; 61-69.
- Fraser, M. and Wainwright, P. E. A study of the behavioural effects on prenatal ethanol exposure in mice fed a diet marginally deficient in essential fatty acids for two generations. Nutritional Neuroscience. 2002, 445-459.
- Girard, T. A., Xing, H-C., Ward, G. R., Nguyen, H. and Wainwright, P. E.Exposure to ethanol and nicotine during the brain growth spurt: Spatial DMP performance in male rats. Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behaviour. 2001, 68; 515-523.
Selected professional activities and networks
- Editorial Board - Developmental Psychobiology Nutritional Neuroscience.
- Society Board Member - International Society for Developmental Psychobiology