The School of Public Health and Health Systems is a division of the Faculty of Applied Health Sciences
Office: LHN 2731
Phone: 519-888-4567, ext. 38491
Occupational health, occupational epidemiology, applied epidemiology, risk and exposure assessment; program evaluation
Interventions in occupational health; evaluation and measurement of health and safety management systems; risk assessment and standard setting in occupational health
BSc, Kinesiology (Simon Fraser University)
MHSc, Occupational and Environmental Health (University of Toronto)
PhD, Epidemiology (University of Calgary)
Selected recent publications
- Robson, L., and Bigelow, P. (2010) Measurement Properties of Occupational Health and Safety Management Audits: A Systematic Literature Review and Traditional Literature Synthesis. Canadian Journal of Public Health. 101(1):S34-S40.
- Kramer, D., Bigelow, P., Carlan, N., Wells, R., Garritano, E., Vi, P., and Plawinski, M. (2010) Searching for a Needle in a Haystack: Identifying Innovations to Prevent MSDs in the Construction Sector. Applied Ergonomics. Jul;41(4):577-84.
- Kramer, D., Bigelow, P., Vi, P., Garritano, E., Carlan, N., Wells, R. (2009) Spreading Good Ideas: A Case Study of the Adoption of an Innovation in the Construction Sector. Applied Ergonomics. 40(5):826-832.
- Bigelow, P., Betts, D., Amick, B., and members of the Ontario Truck Driver Survey Research Team (2009) Developing a National Survey of Truck Drivers: Gathering Stakeholder Perceptions of Key Risks and Risk Factors in Collisions, Health, Safety and Wellness. Proceedings of the Canadian Multidisciplinary Road Safety Conference XIX, Saskatoon, SK June 7-10, Session 2B: Behaviour pp 1-15.
- Nichol, K., Bigelow, P., O’Brien-Pallas, L., McGeer, A., Manno, M., Holness, D. L., (2008) The Individual, Environmental and Organizational Factors That Influence Nurses’ Use of Facial Protection to Prevent Occupational Transmission of Communicable Respiratory Illness in Acute Care Hospitals, American Journal of Infection Control.36(7):481-7.
- Bigelow, P., Moore, D., Yassi, A., (2004) Assessing the Health Implications for Healthcare Workers of Regulatory Changes Eliminating Locally Developed Occupational Exposure Limits in Favor of TLVs: An evidence-based Bipartite Approach. International Journal of Occupational and Environmental Health. 10:433-444.
- Bigelow, P. (2001) The Application of Threshold Limit Values for Chemical Substances to Employees in Laboratories. Chemical Health and Safety 8(4):16-21.