The School of Public Health and Health Systems is a division of the Faculty of Applied Health Sciences
No longer supervising new students
BSc Genetics (1969, McGill University)
PhD Cellular and Developmental Biology (1976, Purdue University)
Health Risk Assessment
Health Promotion & Disease Prevention
- Health effects of air pollution
- Health effects of water pollution
- Environmental health risk assessment
- Cancer prevention
- Sustainable Technology and Health
- Risk communication
Major funding sources
- Gower, S.K., Hicks, J., Shortreed, J., Craig, L., McColl, R.S. (2008).Development of a Health Effects-Based Priority Ranking System for Air Emissions Reductions from Oil Refineries in Canada. J Toxicol Environmental Health Part A. 71: 81-85.
- Gower, S.K., McColl, R.S. (2005). Development of the PEARLS Model (Particulate Exposure from Ambient to Regional Lung by Subgroup) and use of Monte-Carlo Simulation to Predict Internal Exposure to PM2.5 in Toronto. Risk Analysis 25 (2):301-315.
- Shubair, M.M., McColl. R.S., Hanning, R.M. (2005). Mediterranean dietary components and body mass index in adults: The Peel Nutrition and Heart Health Survey. Chronic Diseases in Canada, 26(2,3): 43-51.
- Jardine, C.G., Hrudey, S.R., Shortreed, J.H., Craig, L., Krewski, D., Furgal, C.,McColl, R.S. (2003). Risk Management Frameworks for Human Health and Environmental Risks. J. Toxicol Environ Health Part B, 6:569-641.
- McColl R. S., Hicks J., and Craig L. Environmental Health Risk Assessment and Management -- A Primer for Canadians. (book) Network for Risk Assessment and Management (NERAM). Waterloo, ON. August 2000.
- Tudor-Locke C. and R. S. McColl (2000). Factors Related to Variation in Premenopausal Bone Mineral Status: A Health Promotion Approach. Osteoporos Int 11(1): 1-24
- Cassin M. H., A. M. Lammerding, R.S. McColl, et al. (1998). Quantitative risk assessment for Escherichia coli O157:H7 in ground beef hamburgers. Int J Food Microbiol 41(1): 21-44.