Office: BMH 3115
Phone: 519-888-4567, ext. 42126
Twitter: Follow @Lili Liu
My research examines ways technologies can help older adults and family caregivers. As an investigator with Age-Well NCE, I have three funded projects to develop: (1) an app using predicted risk levels to recommend personalized strategies for people with dementia at risk of going missing, (2) a scale to measure the usability of technologies to locate missing persons with dementia, and (3) a national coordinated strategy for collecting data on persons with dementia who go missing. I also collaborate with researchers at Ryerson University to develop and evaluate algorithms for drones that find cognitively impaired people who are lost.
Graduate supervision and student opportunities
I am currently accepting applications from graduate students with research interests related to:
- Aging and dementia
- Caregiving for persons living with dementia
- Health technologies
- Mixed methods research approaches
- User adoption and usability of everyday technologies for cognitive and mental health
- Smart homes
PhD Rehabilitation Science, McGill University
MSc Rehabilitation Science, McGill University
BSc Occupational Therapy, McGill University
See Google Scholar for full list of publications.
*Designates students or highly qualified personnel (HQP).
- Neubauer, N., Liu, L. (2021). Dissemination and implementation of strategy adoption guidelines for persons with dementia at risk of getting lost. Aging & Mental Health, 25(3), 528-534. Published online Dec 13 2019.
- Miguel Cruz, A., Daum, C., *Comeau, A., Guevara, J., *McLennan, L., *Neubauer, N., Liu, L. (2020). Acceptance, adoption, and usability of information and communication technologies for people living with dementia and their care partners: a systematic review. Disability and Rehabilitation: Assistive Technology.
- *Neubauer, N., Liu, L. (2020). Evaluation of antecedent behaviours of dementia-related wandering in community and facility settings. Neurodegenerative Disease Management, 10(3): 125-135.
- *Neubauer, N., Liu, L. (2020). Development and validation of a conceptual model and strategy adoption guidelines for persons with dementia at risk of getting lost. Dementia, 0(0)1-22.
- *Azad-Khaneghah, P., *Neubauer, N., Miguel Cruz, A., Liu, L. (2019). Mobile health app usability and quality rating scales: a systematic review. Disability and Rehabilitation: Assistive Technology.
- Liu, L. (2018). Muriel Driver Lecture (Keynote) – Occupational Therapy in the fourth industrial revolution. Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy, 85(4): 272-285.
- Lapierre, N.*, Neubauer, N.*, Miguel Cruz, A., Rios Rincon, A., Liu, L., Rousseau, J. (2018). The state of knowledge on technologies for fall detection: a scoping review. International Journal of Medical Informatics 111, 58–71.
- Liu, L., Miguel Cruz, A., Ruptash, T., Barnard, S., Juzwishin, D. (2017). Acceptance of global positioning system technology among dementia clients and family caregivers. Journal of Technology in Human Services.
- Liu, L., Stroulia, E., Nikolaidis, I., Miguel-Cruz, A., Rios Rincon, A. (2016). Smart homes and home health monitoring technologies for older adults: A systematic review. International Journal of Medical Informatics. 91: 44-59.
- Liu, L., Miguel Cruz, A., Rios Rincon, A., Buttar, V., Ranson, Q., & Goertzen, D. (2014). What factors determine therapists’ acceptance of new technologies for rehabilitation – a study using the Unified Theory of Acceptance and Use of Technology (UTAUT). Disability and Rehabilitation.