- *Not all PSYCH and SOC courses count for SDS. Click on each code below for a full list of SDS-approved courses.
- Many of our courses are available in online format, but are not guaranteed to be offered online every term. See CEL's website for planned scheduled offerings.
- For recent course outlines, visit our Outlines page.
- Planning your next term and wondering what courses to take? Review our Choose Courses for a Future Term PDF. Enrolment FAQs also has more information on troubleshooting schedule issues and what to expect if you're a direct-entry, upper-year, online or transfer student.
Political Ideologies and Social Development
(formerly Social Ideas, Social Policy, and Political Practice)
|SDS 150R||Lifespan Processes||Lecture||Yes|
|SDS 205R/ HIST 225||History of Education in Canada||Lecture|
|SDS 210R/ LS 273||Children's Rights in Canada||Lecture||Yes|
|SDS 215R||Education and Social Development from a Global Perspective||Lecture|
|SDS 220R||Changing Concepts of Childhood||Lecture||Yes|
|SDS 231R||Introduction to Social Policy Processes||Lecture|
|SDS 240R||Art and Society||Lecture|
|SDS 242R /RS 242R||Religious Diversity and Social Development||Lecture|
|SDS 250R||Social Statistics||Lecture||Yes|
|SDS 251R||Social Research||Lecture||Yes|
|SDS 260R||Ecology, Society, and Justice: Social Development and the Environment||Lecture|
|SDS 288R||International Organizations||Lecture|
|SDS 310R||Disability and Society||Lecture|
|SDS 311R/ LS 373||
Indigenous Peoples and Canadian Public Policy
(formerly Public Policy and Native Peoples in Canada)
|SDS 312R||Homelessness and Public Policy||Lecture|
|SDS 322R||Community Engagement and Social Development||Lecture|
|SDS 330R||International Public Policy||Lecture|
|SDS 331R||Social Inequality, Social Justice, and Social Action||Lecture||Yes|
|SDS 345R||Self-Development and Identity Formation: A Sociocultural Perspective||Lecture|
|SDS 350R||Adult Life Crises and Events||Lecture||Yes|
|SDS 351R||Qualitative Research in Social Development Studies||Lecture|
|SDS 353R /LS 374||The Evolution of Family Law in Canadian Society||Lecture|
|SDS 354R||Values and the Contemporary Family||Lecture|
|SDS 355R||Resilience and Social Support||Lecture||Yes|
|SDS 357R/SOCWK 357R||Family Violence||Lecture||Yes|
|SDS 358R/SOCWK 355R||Child Maltreatment: Identification and Prevention||Lecture||Yes|
|SDS 367R||Aging and Social Development||Lecture|
|SDS 370R||International Learning Experience||See CMILE website|
|SDS 375R||Studies in Interdisciplinary Social Science||Special2|
|SDS 388R||Globalization and Social Development||Lecture|
|SDS 398R||Independent Study||Application Required3|
|SDS 399R||Independent Study||Application Required3|
|SDS 400R||Comparative Social Policy||Seminar||Yes|
|SDS 405R||Cosmopolitanism and Social Development||Seminar||Yes|
|SDS 411R||Decolonization and Social Action||Seminar|
|SDS 415R||Gender Relations within Educational Institutions||Seminar|
|SDS 420R||Critical Encounter with Human Nature||Seminar|
|SDS 425R||Educational Equity in Canada||Seminar||Yes|
|SDS 431R||Radical Ideology and Social Policy||Seminar|
|SDS 435R||Restorative Approaches to Education||Seminar|
|SDS 440R||Optimal Living||Seminar|
|SDS 441R||Popular Culture and Social Change in the Radical Imagination||Seminar|
|SDS 445R||Pedagogies of Democratic Education||Seminar|
|SDS 449R||Race and Gender Equality||Seminar|
|SDS 450R||Senior Seminar in Special Topics||Special/Seminar2|
|SDS 451R||Community Based Research for Social Development||Seminar|
|SDS 490R||Special Studies||Application Required3|
|SDS 495R||Research Apprenticeship||Application Required4|
|SDS 496R||Applied Apprenticeship in Social Development Studies||Application Required4|
|SDS 499A/B||Senior Honours Essay/Thesis||Application Required4|
|SOCWK 120R||Introduction to Social Work||Lecture||Yes|
|SOCWK 220R||Social Work with Individuals: Theory and Practice 1||Lecture||Yes|
|SOCWK 221R||Social Group Work||Lecture||Yes|
|SOCWK 222R||Community Organization 1||Lecture||Yes|
|SOCWK 240R||Palliative Care||Lecture|
|SOCWK 300R||Canadian Social Welfare Policy||Lecture||Yes|
|SOCWK 301R||Understanding Diversity in Canada||Lecture||Yes|
|SOCWK 320R||Social Work with Individuals: Theory and Practice 2||Lecture (no longer offered)||Yes|
|SOCWK 321R||Social Work with Families||Lecture||Yes|
|SOCWK 322R||International Perspectives in Community Organization||Lecture|
|SOCWK 326R/SDS 326||Philosophy and History of Social Welfare||Lecture|
|SOCWK 356R||Developmental Disabilities and the Family||Lecture|
|SOCWK 365R||Social Work in Healthcare||Lecture|
|SOCWK 375R||Studies in Social Work||Special2|
|SOCWK 390A/B||Family Violence: An Advanced Seminar||Special2 (no longer offered)|
|SOCWK 398R||Independent Study||Application Required3|
|SOCWK 399R||Independent Study||Application Required3|
|SOCWK 421R||Advanced Family Practices||Seminar (no longer offered)|
|SOCWK 450R||Senior Seminar in Special Topics||Special2|
|SOCWK 490R||Special Studies||Application Required3|
PSYCH 101R/PSYCH 101
(formerly PSYCH 121R)
|Introductory Psychology||Lecture||Yes (101)|
|PSYCH 212R/PSYCH 212||Educational Psychology||Lecture|
|PSYCH 213R||Exceptional Children||Lecture||Yes|
|PSYCH 226R||Positive Psychology||Lecture|
PSYCH 253R/PSYCH 253
(formerly PSYCH 220R)
|Social Psychology||Lecture||Yes (253)|
PSYCH 257R/PSYCH 257
(formerly PSYCH 323R)
|PSYCH 312R/PSYCH 312||Learning Disabilities||Lecture||Yes (312)|
|PSYCH 334R||Theories of Individual Counseling Psychology||Lecture|
(formerly PSYCH 222R)
PSYCH 354R/PSYCH 354
(formerly PSYCH 221R)
PSYCH 356R/PSYCH 356
(formerly PSYCH 322R)
|PSYCH 375R||Studies in Psychology||Special2|
|PSYCH 398R||Independent Studies||Application Required3|
|PSYCH 399R||Independent Studies||Application Required3|
|PSYCH 444R||Psychological Interventions||Seminar||Yes|
|PSYCH 448R||Close Relationships||Seminar|
|PSYCH 450R||Senior Seminar in Special Topics||Special2|
|PSYCH 490R||Special Studies||Application Required3|
SOC 101R/SOC 101
(formerly SOC 120R)
|Introduction to Sociology||Lecture||Yes (101)|
|SOC 204R||Sociology of Adolescence||Lecture||Yes|
|SOC 207R/SOC 207||Sociology of Education||Lecture||Yes|
|SOC 223R/SOC 223/LS 223||Deviance: Perspectives and Processes||Lecture|
|SOC 224R||Poverty in Canada and its Social Consequences||Lecture|
|SOC 375R||Studies in Sociology||Special2||See notes|
|SOC 398R||Independent Study||Application Required3||See notes|
|SOC 399R||Independent Study||Application Required3||See notes|
|SOC 450R||Senior Seminar in Special Topics||Special2||See notes|
|SOC 490R||Special Studies||Application Required3||See notes|
Note: Courses with "R" are offered through SDS at Renison. Courses without "R" are offered through the Psychology and Sociology departments. See CEL's website for planned scheduled offerings.
- SDS 131R
- SDS 150R
- SDS 210R
- SDS 220R
- SDS 250R
- SDS 251R
- SDS 331R
- SDS 350R
- SDS 355R
- SDS 357R
- SDS 358R
- SDS 400R
- SDS 405R
- SDS 425R
- SOCWK 120R
- SOCWK 220R
- SOCWK 221R
- SOCWK 222R
- SOCWK 300R
- SOCWK 301R
- SOCWK 321R
- SOC 101 (main campus)
- SOC 204R
- SOC 207R
- PSYCH 101 (main campus)
- PSYCH 213R
- PSYCH 253 (main campus)
- PSYCH 312 (main campus)
- PSYCH 354R/PSYCH 354
- PSYCH 356R/PSYCH 356
- PSYCH 444R
- Check the Schedule of Classes each term to confirm when a course is planned for offer.
- SWREN courses are not part of the SDS major - see the Bachelor of Social Work course list for more information.
- Courses with "/" are cross-listed. Taking either course will count toward the major.
2Special Topics Courses
The following courses are offered subject to the research and/or instructional interests of faculty. Topics are subject to change, but material is unique to alternative SDS-offered courses.
If listed on a plan (e.g. specialization), topic must be approved by the Department Chair to count for the plan.
- SDS 375R, 450R
- SDS 450R is most commonly offered in seminar format. This class can be taken up to 3 times with unique topics per offering. Currently the topic "Comparative and International Education" is the only one approved by the department for a specialization (Education).
- PSYCH 375R, 450R (rare)
- SOCWK 375R, 450R (rare)
- SOC 375R, 450R (rare)
3Independent Study / Special Studies / Thesis Courses
Students must submit an application to be enrolled in any of these courses. Learn more on our courses requiring application page.
These courses are graded numerically.
- Independant Study courses provide space for SDS major students to pursue personal investigation on a topic of interest under the supervision of an SDS faculty member. Students are allowed credit for a maximum of 2 different course codes (e.g. SDS 398R + PSYCH 398R). Appropriate course code will depend on field of study and/or supervising faculty's expertise.
- CODES: 398R and 399R across SDS, SOCWK, SOC and PSYCH disciplines
- Special Studies courses provide full-time SDS faculty members the chance to support individual (or a small roup) of SDS major students through an in-depth empirical reflection of a contemporary social issue. Appropriate course code will depend on field of study and/or supervising faculty's expertise.
- CODE: 490R code across SDS, SOCWK, SOC and PSYCH disciplines.
- NOTE: If wishing to use a 490R towards a specific SDS specialization, clearly indicate this in the application. Topic must be approved by the Department Chair as related to the specialization theme.
- The Honours Essay/Thesis courses are open only to SDS major students in the 4-year program who meet specific academic criteria. The honours essay/thesis provides flexibility for students to deeply explore topics through an extensive literature review and/or conduct their own research to better understand the research process. It is expected to run for at least 8 months in back-to-back terms. Supervision by a full-time SDS faculty member is required.
- CODES: SDS 499A/B
Students must submit an application to be enrolled in either of these courses. Learn more on our courses requiring application page.
These courses are graded with CR/NCR only. Students must ensure these courses will not impact the residency requirements for their degree.
- You must apply for enrolment in the following apprenticeship courses:
- SDS 495R, 496R
- If you wish the course to apply towards a specialization, the research or placement must be related to the specialization. You will request approval within the application form.
- These courses are offered on a CR/NCR basis only.