As many courses make the move to an online format, the Office of Academic Integrity has the following tips for instructors to promote academic integrity:
- Talk to your students about the importance of honesty and academic integrity – this is the most effective way of preventing academic misconduct
- Give clear directions about your expectations for assignments, group work and tests
- Vary your assessment strategies and use a number of lower stake or scaffolded assignments to evaluate your students
- Make yourself available using online office hours for students who have questions or might be struggling
- Point to resources that students can access should they need help such as emailing their academic advisors, online tutorials or workshops, library references etc.
- Consider having students sign off on an academic integrity form for assignments and exams
- Watch the webinar Academic Integrity in Online Course: Adapting During Covid 19 (YouTube, 1:26:40)