TOGETHER for a Sustainable Future
In 50 years, the Faculty of Environment has transformed itself from being the problem framers to becoming the problem solvers. I’ve been here for nearly 30 years of that transformation, and having been reappointed to a two-year term as Dean of Environment, I am excited to continue our evolution as Canada’s centre for transdisciplinary learning, research and teaching.
Today, sustainability is a driver of modernization, where industry and environment, ecology and economy are not conflicting goals, but rather intrinsically linked. It’s with this perspective we introduce our Faculty of Environment’s 2020-2025 strategic plan: TOGETHER for a sustainable future It’s a plan to firmly establish Waterloo’s Faculty of Environment as Canada’s catalyst for environmental innovation, solutions and talent generation, bringing partners from across disciplines and sectors together.
Environment at a glance 2020
- Undergraduate enrolment: 2,380
- Graduate enrolment: 590
- Annual research funding $9.9M
- Ranked TOP 5 in the world for Climate Change research (QS 2019)
- More than 15,000 alumni in 80 countries worldwide
16K+alumni from 89 Countries.
Ranked TOP 4 in Canada for Environmental Studies (QS 2020)
14% of our courses include field experiences.
Ranked TOP 4 in Canada for Geography (ARWU 2020).
450+ employers that actively hire Environment students.
In 2018, the Faculty introduced 2 NEW graduate programs a PhD in Sustainability Management and a graduate diploma in Climate Risk Management.
95.5% of undergraduate students found employment upon graduation (2018).
Office of the Dean
Phone: 519-888-4567, ext. 32883
Location: EV1 347
Canada's largest Faculty of Environment features:
- Internationally renowned faculty members including seven Canada Research Chairs, two University Research Chairs and one University Professor.
- Eight bachelor degree programs including: Geography and Environmental Management, Knowledge Integration, The School of Environment, Enterprise and Development, The School of Planning and The School of Environment, Resources and Sustainability. The Faculty also offers cross-faculty programs in Aviation and Global Governance.
- The only planning program in Canada to offer degrees at the undergraduate, masters and Ph.D. level.
- Integrated hands-on education supported by numerous field courses and access to a world-class ecology lab, a fully-outfitted workshop, multiple computer labs and multi-media resources.
- Undergraduate and graduate programs associated with professional designations.
- Fully-funded PhD programs offered through the Dean's Doctoral Initiative.
- Integrated balance of STEM and social science focussed classes.
- A new suite of entrepreneurship opportunities, including Entrepreneurship@Environment, Concept, St. Paul's Greenhouse, Jack Rosen Memorial Award and World’s Challenge Challenge foster award-winning student entrepreneurship in environmental stewardship and social justice.