Waterloo’s Faculty of Environment creates knowledge, nurtures learning and promotes action to achieve sustainable futures in Canada and around the world.
We invite you to explore our site to see how our Faculty is developing and implementing the smart solutions needed to address today’s most pressing environmental challenges.
We believe we can leave a strong legacy for those who will come after us through the pursuit of knowledge and the application of this knowledge to the most critical issues of environment and sustainability that now threaten health and prosperity around the world.
Canada's largest Faculty of Environment features:
- Internationally renowned faculty members including three Canada Research Chairs, two University Research Chairs and one University Professor.
- More than $7 million in research funding for 2015/2016.
- 8 bachelor degree programs in the Departments of Geography and Environmental Management and Knowledge Integration; and the Schools of Environment, Enterprise and Development, Planning and Environment, Resources and Sustainability; as well as cross-faculty programs in Aviation and Global Governance.
- The only planning program in Canada to offer degrees at the undergraduate, masters and Ph.D. level.
- Integrated hands-on education supported by numerous field courses and access to a world-class ecology lab, a fully-outfitted workshop, multiple computer labs and multi-media resources.
- Widely lauded co-op program boasts a 90+ percent placement rate.
- Undergraduate and graduate programs associated with professional designations.
- Fully-funded PhD programs offered through the Dean's Doctoral Initiative.
- Integrated balance of STEM and social science focussed classes.
- St. Paul's Greenhouse and Jack Rosen Memorial Award foster award-winning student entrepreneurship in environmental stewardship and social justice.
Environment at a glance 2015/2016
- Undergraduate enrolment: 2,334
- Graduate enrolment: 560
- More than 14,000 alumni in 80 countries worldwide