Launched in 1957, Waterloo's co-op program is the largest of its kind in the world and the pioneer of Canada's co-op system.
Choose your experience
Depending on your program of study, you may have the option to apply to the 5-year co-op program or fast-track in the 4-year "regular" program, as it's called here at Waterloo.
In all Environment programs, you'll learn real-world lessons inside and outside of the classroom and will be career-ready by the time you graduate.
Co-op 5-year program
Alternate school terms with paid work terms. We'll guide you through the process of finding a job with one of our 6,000 employers.
Traditional 4-year program
Take a quicker path to the workforce or grad school.
Co-op at Waterloo
Through co-op, you'll alternate 4-month school terms with 4-month paid work terms in jobs relating to your program.
- Explore new career areas as your interests and goals evolve.
- Build contacts with employers that can lead to a great career when you graduate.
- Earn more after graduation. 77% of our co-op students earn more than $50,000/year 2 years after graduation (Ontario average is 40%).
- Be prepared for a successful career. You'll learn how to write a résumé, how to present yourself well at an interview, and how to conduct yourself on the job - all the skills you'll need when you're starting your career.
Learn more about how co-op works.
What kind of companies will you work for?
Past co-op employers of Environment students include:
- Environment Canada
- Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada
- Canadian Tire Corporation
- Labatt Breweries
- Microsoft Canada
- Earth Day Canada
- Vancouver International Airport
- The United Nations
- World Wildlife Fund Canada
- The Government of Madagascar
- Ontario Ministry of Transportation
- Statistics Canada
- City of Toronto
- Sun Life Financial
Environment programs that offer co-op
- Environment and Business - regular and co-op
- Environment, Resources, and Sustainability - regular and co-op
- Geography and Aviation - regular only
- Geography and Environmental Management - regular and co-op
- Geomatics - regular and co-op
- International Development - regular only
- Knowledge Integration - regular only
- Planning - co-op only