Eco-warrior, meet business mogul.
Today, smart businesses know that sustainability has to be a core part of their plan. In Environment and Business — the only program of its kind in North America — you’ll develop an in-depth knowledge of environmental issues and the business world.
Study finance and field ecology, entrepreneurship and environmental ethics, plus a whole lot more, and get the opportunity to get paid work experience through co-op on top of that.
When you graduate, you’ll be ready to make a difference, whether that’s developing business plans for renewable energy suppliers, analyzing the environmental record of a Fortune 500 company, or helping businesses reduce their ecological impacts.
Environment and Business admission requirements
Ontario students: six Grade 12 U and/or M courses including
- Any Grade 12 U English (final grade of 70% is required)
- Recommended courses: one Grade 12 U Mathematics, one Grade 12 U Science, Grade 12M Principles of Financial Accounting, Analysing Current Economic Issues (where offered)
Admission averages: Low 80s
We recommend completing the Admission Information Form once you've applied.
Not studying in Ontario? Search our admission requirements.
September to December
January to April
After first year
Most of the classes you’ll take will be Environment and Business courses. With your remaining classes, you can choose electives from many of the 100 subject areas at Waterloo.
View a list of the courses required for your degree.
Sample upper-year courses
ENBUS 203 – Green Entrepreneurship
ENBUS 307 – Industrial Ecology: Life Cycle Assessment and Management in Business
ENBUS 309 – Applied Social Marketing
ENBUS 402A/ENBUS 402B – Environment and Business Capstone Project
Gain 20 months of hands-on experience through co-op
Apply directly to this program on your application
Earn a Bachelor of Environmental Studies degree
Co-op = relevant paid work experience
By alternating school terms and paid co-op work terms throughout your degree, you can explore new career areas and types of employers as your career interests evolve.
Sample co-op job titles
- Assistant environmental planner
- Sustainability coordinator
- Outdoor environmental education instructor
- Research associate
- Junior policy analyst
- Operations and logistics analyst
- Environmental technician
- Sales and marketing intern
Sample co-op employers
- Ontario Ministry of Transportation
- Ziptrek Ecotours
- Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
- Regional Municipality of Peel
- Ericsson Canada
- Manulife Financial
- Minto Group
For adding sustainability to business programs (Corporate Knights magazine)
Offered by the Faculty of Environment
Only program of its kind in Canada
Customize your degree
You can add additional expertise to your degree by choosing one of the minors available to all Waterloo students. Some popular choices for Environment and Business students include minors in Geography and Environmental Management, Economics, and Entrepreneurship.
What can you do with a degree in Environment and Business?
Our graduates often pursue careers in health and safety, project management, and environment. They often work in consulting, banks, manufacturing, various levels of government, and more.
- Manager, Environmental Stewardship & Compliance - Home Depot of Canada
- Environmental Health and Safety Specialist - NTN Bearing
- Project Manager - Peritus Environmental Consultants
- Environment, Health, and Safety Specialist - Walmart Canada
- Planning Coordinator, Climate Change - Region of Waterloo
- Project Manager, Renewal Energy - City of Toronto
- Technology Analyst - Bank of America Merrill Lynch
For more information on potential careers, check out our page on careers in business.
20 months of job experience
You’ll get plenty of hands-on experience through 20 months of paid co-op work experience, plus a fourth-year capstone project where you’ll do sustainability consulting for real-world clients.
Grow your own green business
Have an idea for an environmental business or social enterprise? Take a course in green entrepreneurship. Or drop by Velocity Start @ Environment to work on your business plan with one-on-one coaching from an experienced advisor.