Eco-warrior, meet business mogul.
Today, smart businesses know that sustainability has to be a core part of their plan. In Environment and Business — the only program of its kind in North America — you’ll develop an in-depth knowledge of environmental issues and the business world.
Study finance and field ecology, entrepreneurship and environmental ethics, plus a whole lot more.
When you graduate, you’ll be ready to make a difference, whether that’s developing business plans for renewable energy suppliers, analyzing the environmental record of a Fortune 500 company, or helping businesses reduce their ecological impacts.
20 months of job experience
You’ll get plenty of hands-on experience through 20 months of paid co-op work experience, plus a fourth-year capstone project where you’ll do sustainability consulting for real-world clients.
Grow your own green business
Have an idea for an environmental business or social enterprise? Take a course in green entrepreneurship. Or drop by Velocity Start @ Environment to work on your business plan with one-on-one coaching from an experienced advisor.
About the Environment and Business program
Gain 20 months of hands-on experience through co-op
Apply directly to this program on your application
Earn a Bachelor of Environmental Studies degree
For adding sustainability to business programs
Offered by the Faculty of Environment
Only program of its kind in Canada
Environment and Business admission requirements
- Ontario students: 6 Grade 12 U and/or M courses including
- Any Grade 12 U English (final grade of 70% is required)
- Recommended courses: one Grade 12 U Mathematics, one Grade 12 U Science, Grade 12M Principles of Financial Accounting, Analysing Current Economic Issues (where offered)
- Admission averages: Low 80s
- An Admission Information Form is recommended for admission
- Not studying in Ontario? Search our admission requirements
Careers in Environment and Business
Graduates pursue careers in areas such as waste management, environmental consulting, sustainability assessment, business analysis, project management, alternative energy development, and environmental affairs.
- Social Compliance Coordinator, Hudson's Bay Company
- Environmental Health & Safety Consultant, Stantec Consulting
- Manager, Environmental Stewardship & Compliance, Home Depot of Canada
- Marketing Specialist, TELUS
- Sustainability Analyst, Sun Life Financial
- Sustainability Environmental Manager, MTS Allstream
- Sustainable Design Specialist, Mindscape Innovations
- Energy Consultant, City of Toronto
- Environmental Advisor, Toronto Transit Commission
- Environmental Protection Officer, Ministry of Environment, BC
First-year Environment and Business courses
September to December
AFM 131 - Introduction to Business in North America
ENBUS 102 - Introduction to Environment and Business
ECON 101 - Introduction to Microeconomics
INDEV 100 - Introduction to International Development
January to April
ENVS 131 - Communications for Environmental Professions
ENVS 178 - Environmental Applications of Data Management and Statistics
ENVS 195 - Introduction to Environmental Studies
AFM 123 - Accounting Information for Managers
ENBUS 112 - Operationalizing Sustainable Development within Business
After first year
View a list of the courses required for your degree.
Sample upper-year Environment and Business courses
ENBUS 203 – Green Entrepreneurship
ENBUS 307 – Industrial Ecology: Life Cycle Assessment and Management in Business
ENBUS 309 – Applied Social Marketing
ENBUS 402A/ENBUS 402B – Environment and Business Capstone Project
Customize your Environment and Business degree
You can also add additional areas of interest and expertise by including a minor (or minors) as part of your degree.
Gain relevant work experience through co-op
By alternating school terms and paid co-op work terms throughout your degree, you can explore new career areas and types of employers as your career interests evolve.
Sample co-op job titles
- Partner Marketing Associate
- Policy Analyst
- Business Analyst
- Capital Projects Assistant
- Environmental Officer
- Sales & Marketing Coordinator
- Assistant Environmental Planner
- Sustainability Coordinator
Sample co-op employers
- Microsoft Canada Corporation
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada
- Canadian Tire Corporation
- Barrick Gold
- Transport Canada
- Ontario Ministry of Transportation
- Minto Group