Sustainability meets profitability
Smart businesses know that sustainability must be a core part of their plan. In Environment and Business — the only program of its kind in North America — you’ll develop an in-depth knowledge of environmental issues and the business world.
You'll get the foundations of a business degree with courses in economics, finance, marketing, and management, and you'll get an environmental education including field ecology and human geography. Plus, you'll learn how to integrate environment and business knowledge through specialized courses in corporate sustainability, social marketing, and more.
When you graduate, you’ll be ready to make a difference, whether that’s developing business plans for renewable energy suppliers, analyzing the environmental record of a Fortune 500 company, or helping businesses reduce their ecological impacts.
- 20 months of job experience. You’ll get plenty of hands-on experience through 20 months of paid co-op work experience, plus a fourth-year capstone project where you’ll do sustainability consulting for real-world clients.
- Grow your own green business. Have an idea for an environmental business or social enterprise? Take a course in green entrepreneurship. Or drop by Entrepreneurship at Environment (E@E) to work on your business plan with one-on-one coaching from an experienced advisor.
- Offered as a co-op program only
- Graduate with a Bachelor of Environmental Studies
- Offered by the Faculty of Environment
What will you learn?
During your first year, you'll take a mix of foundational Environment and Business (ENBUS) and Accounting and Financial Management courses.
In your upper years, most of your classes will be in ENBUS.
Learn about the courses you'll take for your degree.
Customize your degree
You can add additional expertise to your degree by choosing one of the minors available to all Waterloo students.
Some popular choices for Environment and Business students include minors in Geography and Environmental Management, Economics, and Entrepreneurship.
Get tips from Waterloo students
Join our monthly newsletter for tips such as choosing a university program, life at Waterloo, and finances.
Contact a student ambassador
Ask a Faculty of Environment student about their program, classes, getting involved on campus, and more!
Co-op = relevant paid work experience
By alternating school terms and paid co-op work terms throughout your degree, you can explore new career areas and types of employers as your career interests evolve.
Sample co-op job titles
- Assistant environmental planner
- Sustainability coordinator
- Air quality and climate change coordinator
- Research associate
- Junior policy analyst
- Operations and logistics analyst
- Environmental technician
- Sustainability business outreach, education, and marketing coordinator
What can you do with a degree in Environment and Business?
Our graduates often pursue careers in health and safety, project management, and environment. They often work in consulting, banks, manufacturing, various levels of government, and more.
- Manager, Environmental Stewardship & Compliance - Home Depot of Canada
- Environmental Health and Safety Specialist - NTN Bearing
- Project Manager - Peritus Environmental Consultants
- Environment, Health, and Safety Specialist - Amazon Canada
- Planning Coordinator, Climate Change - Region of Waterloo
- Project Manager, Renewal Energy - City of Toronto
- Technology Analyst - Bank of America Merrill Lynch
Learn about the future of careers in business.
Ontario students: six Grade 12 U and/or M courses including
- Any Grade 12 U English (final grade of 70% is required)
Recommended courses: one Grade 12 U Mathematics, one Grade 12 U Science, Grade 12M Principles of Financial Accounting, Analysing Current Economic Issues (where offered)
Admission averages: Low 80s
Not studying in Ontario? Search our admission requirements.
How to apply?
Apply directly to this program on your application.
Connect with us
Questions about courses, programs, requirements, or careers?
Please contact Jaime, our Faculty of Environment recruitment coordinator who can answer any questions you have.