Write exams

The Centre for Extended Learning (CEL) coordinates in-person examinations for Waterloo's online courses. Most exams are paper-based, and students are supervised during the exam. Waterloo students are located all over the world, and so we have options.

NOTE: The deadline to choose an exam centre or submit a proctor has passed. If you did not make arrangements your exam will be scheduled in Waterloo. Details will be in Odyssey late November

Confirm or make your exam arrangements 

The links below will help you determine what you need to do:

  1. If you have an on-campus course you'll be scheduled to write on the Waterloo campus
  2. If you are taking only online courses you will need to select an exam centre if you live within 100 km of one. All exam centres are located in Canada. Exam centres only hold two exam sittings. If you have more than 3 exams you will need to find a proctor for your additional exams.
  3. If you live more than 100 km from an exam centre you will need to find an proctor to supervise your in-person exam. You can still choose to write at a centre if you wish.
  4. If you are registered with AccessAbility Services you should contact them to schedule your exams with them or receive documentation for an individual proctor if you cannot come to campus. Exam centres do not provide accommodations.

If you have any questions please email us at extendedlearning@uwaterloo.ca. Include your student number and relevant course information.

Food and drink are not allowed in final exam rooms, with the exception of water in a clear bottle with no label. Please review Waterloo's final examination information for complete details.

Need to Change your Final Examination Arrangements?

From time to time, students encounter extenuating circumstances such as significant illnesses, ongoing medical conditions, or religious observations that prevent them from meeting academic obligations. The University is committed to assisting students who experience these events.

Travel, co-op interviews, personal plans etc. are not considered acceptable grounds for changing a scheduled exam.

If you need to reschedule an exam for an online course, read Waterloo's Academic Regulations Related to Assignments, Tests, and Final Exams Accommodations page for details and to see if you are eligible, and then visit our Requesting an alternate exam date page to access the request form. 

Requests for accommodations on religious grounds should been made as early as possible to ensure we can accommodate your request. 

Missed Final Exams Due To Illness

You must follow the instructions provided in your course to notify your instructor and/or faculty.

The Verification of Illness (VIF) form and instructions are on the Campus Wellness website. You can find instructions on how and when to use the self-declaration form on the Quest Help site. The short-term absence request is NOT an option for final exams 

Review the Waterloo Accommodations Policy for more details. Adjustment of due dates or deferrals of examinations are not guaranteed. Your instructors will use the documentation you provide among all information available to them to determine whether an accommodation is warranted, and will work with you to reschedule the exam if necessary.


Students writing exams on-campus