Centre for Extended Learning (CEL)
East Campus 3 (EC3)
195 Columbia St. W.
xCELr8 – Online Course Design Kickstart Program
Audience: course authors
The xCELr8 program is a four-day, collaborative learning experience intended for new course authors designing their first online course at Waterloo. Course authors are invited to attend the program once an course development project has been approved. Participants must attend all four days as they explore online teaching and learning ideas applicable to their course, culminating in a course blueprint, which is presented on the final day. The program is facilitated by Online Learning Consultants at the Centre for Extended Learning.
- produce a detailed course syllabus for their online course
- create a unit-by-unit learning and assessment plan
- evaluate and provide peer feedback on various course components
- create a low fidelity prototype for one of the weeks/modules/units of their course
- plan and schedule time to complete the remaining elements of the course
Upcoming dates: TBD
Audience: course instructors
This three-hour introductory workshop is held once a term and is intended for new online instructors who will be teaching a fully online course in the upcoming term. It is best suited for instructors who did not design and develop the course they will be teaching.
- learn how online teaching and learning works at Waterloo
- gain a basic understanding of online teaching theory
- share some tips with colleagues about successfully teaching online
- meet with the CEL staff who are preparing your course for offer this term
- have an opportunity to ask questions about your course
Upcoming dates: TBD
Audience: course authors and instructors
CEL hosts an Online Instructor Community of Practice (CoP) Luncheon once a term. All online course authors and instructors are invited to attend. This is an informal opportunity to meet with other online instructors at Waterloo to discuss both the challenges and successes of online teaching. A theme or topic of discussion is selected for each luncheon based on the interests expressed by the group and/or generated through the Online Instructor CoP listserv.
Date: Monday, February 4, noon - 1:30 pm
Please RSVP online by January 28.