Students taking online courses are an important part of the University of Waterloo's community and are welcome to use most of the resources and support services provided.

Urgent Help

If you are in crisis, feel unsafe, or worried you might hurt yourself or others, the Campus Wellness website has a list of contacts, many of which are available 24 hours a day/7 days a week.

Academic advice

Academic Advisors are available to help if you don't understand something, when you need course selection advice and when you have any questions regarding academic life at Waterloo.

AccessAbility Services

AccessAbility Services works with Waterloo departments to promote the potential of students with physical, medical, psychological, sensory, or learning disabilities. If you require support for disability-related needs or academic accommodations in an online course, such as alternative formatting of course materials and/or exam arrangements, you must register with AccessAbility Services to request accommodations. These services are also available for students with temporary needs.

Course selection

First-year and transfer students will find the Undergraduate course selection webpagehelpful in navigating Quest and for enroling in courses. If you're an upper-year student, please refer to the Quest website for details about course selection. Email questions about Quest to

Student Success Office

The Student Success Office (SSO) provides student support for academic and personal success. Academic tools, professional development workshops, international opportunities and more are available to both undergraduate and graduate students. 

Visit their listing of online resources. And first year students who can't attend orientation should review their Out of Province/American Student Orientation day information.

Centre for Career Action

Waterloo's Centre for Career Action aims to help all University of Waterloo students (regular and co-op), alumni, employees, achieve current and future career goals.

They offer a variety of workshops, in-person and virtual appointments to ease the career decision-making process and hone your job search skills.

Campus Wellness

Campus Wellness has professionals in Health Services and Counselling who provide primary medical care and mental health services.


LEARN is Waterloo's web-based learning management system. It enables instructors to manage course materials, activities and assessments and to interact easily and efficiently with students outside the physical classroom.

The Waterloo LEARN Support site provides general, as well as role-specific, instruction and information for instructors, teaching assistants and students who need help with LEARN.

Library services

The Waterloo Library has information dedicated to students taking online courses.

A Waterloo WatCard (student ID card) with a barcode is required to access many library services. It provides information on:

If you need help with your library barcode, please contact the library directly.

Quest help

Quest is the Waterloo's Student Information System. Current undergraduate students use it to enrol in courses, change personal contact information, view class schedules, tuition fees, tuition account summaries, tuition tax receipts, financial aid, and student record information. Visit their help page for assistance.

WatCards (Student ID Cards)

All Waterloo students need a WatCard, which is Waterloo's official student ID card. A non-photo WatCard will be mailed to all new students taking only online courses. Students taking only online courses can visit the WatCard office to get a photo WatCard (government issued photo ID wil be required).

If you are taking on-campus courses you will need to visit the WatCard office.

If you need help with your library barcode please contact the library directly.

Writing and communication

The Writing and Communication Centre supports graduate and undergraduate student writing and communication through a variety of services and programs. Additionally, the Writing Centre administers the English Language Proficiency Exam (ELPE), which is a route for students in some faculties to meet the English Language Proficiency Requirement (ELPR).