Every year, the University of Waterloo provides an allowance for out-of-pocket expenses related to the performance of teaching, research and professional duties known colloquially as the “professional allowance” or FPER.
What you need to know
How much you can spend. You get $1,859 for 2018/19, prorated for new or reduced-load faculty.
- The deadline. Each department/school sets a submission deadline in early April each year. Expenses incurred in April after this deadline can be submitted with the next year's claim. Other than that, you can submit expenses up to twice a year, whenever you want.
- Who is eligible. All regular, full-time faculty are entitled to the FPER, including lecturers and faculty on a reduced load.
- What you can claim. Business expenses "directly related to the performance of teaching, research and professional duties," including professional association membership fees, conference fees and travel costs, computer equipment, and academic regalia. The Finance department's page on FPER has a long list—look under "Procedure," then "Eligible items."
Where to find information
- All of the details about how the FPER works, including eligible expenses, are on the University Finance website.
Who to talk to
- Most departments assign an individual who will assist with inquiries and/or review claims. Ask your chair or a colleague who that person is.
- Your Faculty Financial Officer or Executive Assistant can probably provide assistance.