What you need to know
The Pension & Benefits Committee is responsible for the design and modification of both the pension and benefits programs. Pension & Benefits Committee meetings are open to staff and faculty members and much information about their work is public. Find meeting dates, reports, and other information on the Pension & Benefits Committee page on the Secretariat website.
The Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) is a relatively new program that provides, among other things, confidential telephone, in-person, and online counselling services to faculty and their families. These services are in addition to your regular benefits coverage.
GreenShield processes our extended health and dental benefits. GSC Everywhere is their online portal and mobile app. It’s where you submit claims and check your coverage.
The University of Waterloo pension plan is a defined benefit plan, which means the amount of your pension is not impacted by the pension fund’s market performance.
Who to talk to
- Use the benefits you need. Become aware of what is actually covered, and claim the benefits to which you are entitled.
- Keep your receipts. You can either submit claims through GSC Everywhere, or your medical provider may be able to submit on your behalf. Please remember to keep your receipts after submitting in case they are needed for a random audit.
You also have access to tuition benefits for yourself and your children:
Employees with appointments of at least one year are eligible for the health and life insurance plans.
Employees with appointments of two years or more are also eligible for the pension and dental plans. (Find more eligibility details in Policy 23.)
Where to find information
- The GSC Everywhere website or app for benefits coverage details
- Human Resources’ Pension & Benefits Booklet (download from the HR Benefits web page)
- The Pension and Benefits Committee section of the Secretariat website
- The myPENSIONinfo pension estimator tool
- Policy 23 – Eligibility for Pension and Insured Benefits