Where to start
Human Resources’ website is your go-to source of practical information about benefits, immigration, relocation, medical services, and so on.
Other key resources include:
- HR's new employees page
- The Finance department's new employee information (login required)
- The Office of Indigenous Relations
- The Black Faculty Collective
Your Faculty Association
The Faculty Association of the University of Waterloo (FAUW—rhymes with "now") works to ensure academic freedom, equity, and collegial governance for faculty members at Waterloo. We negotiate and protect your working conditions, and are here to help when you need us.
While we represent all regular faculty, you do have to join to become a voting member.
FAUW welcome video (2020)
Twelve things new faculty should know
- "Know What you Don't Know" from The Chronicle of Higher Education – Advice on three key aspects of an academic career that you don't learn in grad school
- On the tenure track? Check out "10 Things No One Told Me About Applying for Tenure" (also from The Chronicle) – Note the first thing: "Keep records of everything from Day 1"
- "Advice for Getting Promoted and Tenured" from Inside Higher Ed.
- "Surviving your first year on the tenure track" from University Affairs.