We think you should read these.
The Memorandum of Agreement
The Memorandum of Agreement (MoA) between FAUW and the University provides a framework governing all aspects of the relationship between the University and faculty members. The MoA trumps all policies and guidelines.
The FAUW Constitution
The FAUW Constitution governs FAUW’s own activities and procedures for the board, elections, and more.
Approval from FAUW is required to create or modify University policies categorized “F” (faculty), “FS” (faculty and staff) or “A” (administration). Any policy that affects faculty working conditions has to be classified F or FS.
Key policies and procedures for faculty:
- Policy 76 - faculty appointments
- Policy 77 - tenure and promotion of faculty members
- Policy 3 - sabbatical and other leaves for faculty members
- Policy 59 – reduced workload to retirement (also covers reduced workload in general)
- Policy 14 – pregnancy and parental leaves (including adoption)
- Faculty professional expense reimbursement plan
Occasionally, the Provost's office issues a memorandum to clarify or fill a gap in policy, and these carry a lot of weight. You can read all the provostial memos on the Provost Office website.
For FAUW's take on policies and more, browse our Faculty Guide to Working at Waterloo.
The Academic Freedom & Tenure Committee can help you navigate any policies or guidelines.