Contact Waterloo Institute for Nanotechnology
Mike & Ophelia Lazaridis Quantum-Nano Centre, Room 3606
University of Waterloo
200 University Ave. W.
Waterloo, ON. N2L 3G1
+1 519 888 4567, ext.38654
Research interests: Functional nanomaterials; scalable synthesis of nanomaterials to develop next-gen functional coatings and devices; spatial atomic layer deposition to produce thin films for optoelectronic devices
Professor Kevin Musselman performed his doctoral studies in the Department of Materials Science & Metallurgy at the University of Cambridge with Professor Judith Driscoll (2015 recipient of the Institute of Physics’ Joule Medal and Prize). Musselman developed new electrochemical methods for fabricating cuprous oxide (Cu2O) and zinc oxide (ZnO) nanomaterials, as well as Cu2O-ZnO solar cells. He identified key limitations in this class of devices, helping to establish all-oxide photovoltaics as a new and growing research area.
In 2010, Musselman was appointed the Hertha Ayrton Junior Research Fellow in Science at Girton College, Cambridge University. He performed his research in the Department of Physics with Sir Richard Friend (Cavendish Professor of Physics and 2010 Millenium Technology Prize Laureaute) and Professor Neil Greenham (2013 recipient of the Royal Society Kavli Medal).
Musselman helped pioneer the use of atmospheric pressure spatial atomic layer deposition (AP-SALD) thin films in optoelectronic devices. He used these films to address key questions in the field of energy conversion and to develop new optoelectronic devices. Musselman produced thin films of metal oxide alloys with tunable optoelectronic properties with which he probed loss mechanisms in colloidal quantum dot solar cells, ‘hybrid’ polymer-oxide solar cells and light emitting diodes, and all-oxide solar cells. These metal oxide films were also used to produce new, colour-pure “hybrid” organometal halide perovskite light-emitting diodes.
Musselman also worked to produce the first silicon photovoltaics with a current-contributing singlet-fission sensitizer, which could increase the efficiency of photovoltaic solar cells beyond the theoretical single-junction limit.
Musselman joined the University of Waterloo in 2015, where his research focuses on the development of functional nanomaterials for a variety of devices, including photovoltaic solar cells, light emitting diodes, energy harvesting systems, and novel sensors.
- PhD, University of Cambridge, 2010
- MSc, University of British Columbia, 2006
- BSc, Queen's University, 2004
Musselman’s research focuses on the development of functional nanomaterials for a variety of devices, including photovoltaic solar cells, light emitting diodes, energy harvesting systems, and novel sensors. Materials of interest include nanostructured metal oxides, graphene, and quantum dots, among others.
Emphasis is placed on:
- Developing scalable manufacturing processes for nanomaterials. This includes electrochemical self-assembly and new spatial atomic layer deposition techniques.
- Advancing our understanding of next-generation devices. Dr. Musselman takes a materials-driven approach. Novel materials are introduced into next-generation optoelectronic devices, and their properties are varied to study the underlying operating mechanisms.
- Spatial atomic layer deposition
- Metal oxide semiconductors
- Nanomaterials (quantum dots, graphene, nanowires)
- Photovoltaic solar cells
- Light emitting diodes
- Nanoelectronics and sensors
- R.L.Z. Hoye, K.P. Musselman, M.R. Chua, A. Sadhanala, R.D. Raninga, J.L. MacManus-Driscoll, R.H. Friend, and D. Credgington, Bright and Efficient Blue Polymer Light Emitting Diodes with Reduced Operating Voltages Processed Entirely at Low-Temperature, J. Mat. Chem. C 3: 9327-9336 (2015).
- R.L.Z. Hoye, D. Muñoz-Rojas, K.P. Musselman, Y. Vaynzof, J.L MacManus-Driscoll, Synthesis and Modeling of Uniform Complex Metal Oxides by Close-Proximity Atmospheric Pressure Chemical Vapor Deposition, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 7: 10684-10694 (2015).
- R.L.Z. Hoye, R.E. Brandt, Y. Ievskaya, S. Heffernan, K.P. Musselman, T. Buonassisi, J.L MacManus-Driscoll,Perspective: Maintaining surface-phase purity is key to efficient open air fabricated cuprous oxide solar cells, APL Mat. 3: 020901 (4pp) (2015).
- D. Di, K.P. Musselman, G. Li, A. Sadhanala, Y. Ievskaya, Q. Song, Z.-K. Tan, M.L. Lai, J.L MacManus-Driscoll, N.C Greenham, R.H. Friend, Size-dependent Photon Emission from Organometal Halide Perovskite Nanocrystals Embedded in an Organic Matrix, J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 6: 446-450 (2015).
- R.L.Z. Hoye, M.R. Chua, K.P. Musselman, G. Li, M.-L. Lai, Z.‐K. Tan, N.C. Greenham, J.L. MacManus‐Driscoll, R.H. Friend, D. Credgington, Enhanced Performance in Fluorene-Free Organometal Halide Perovskite Light-Emitting Diodes using Tunable, Low Electron Affinity Oxide Electron Injectors, Adv. Mater. 27: 1414-1419 (2015).
- Y. Ievskaya, R.L.Z. Hoye, A. Sadhanala, K.P. Musselman, J.L. MacManus-Driscoll, Fabrication of ZnO/Cu2O heterojunctions in atmospheric conditions: Improved interface quality and solar cell performance, Sol. Energy Mater. Sol. Cells 135: 43-48 (2015).
- M. Tabachnyk, B. Ehrler, S. Gélinas, M.L. Böhm, B.J. Walker, K.P. Musselman, N.C. Greenham, R.H. Friend, A. Rao,Resonant energy transfer of triplet excitons from pentacene to PbSe nanocrystals, Nature Materials 13: 1033-1038 (2014).
- R.L.Z. Hoye, S. Heffernan, Y. Ievskaya, A. Sadhanala, A. Flewitt, R.H. Friend, J.L. MacManus-Driscoll, K.P. Musselman,Engineering Schottky Contacts in Open-Air Fabricated Heterojunction Solar Cells to Enable High Performance and Ohmic Charge Transport, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 6: 22192-22198 (2014).
- K.P. Musselman, S. Albert‐Seifried, R.L.Z Hoye, A. Sadhanala, D. Muñoz‐Rojas, J.L. MacManus‐Driscoll, R.H Friend,Improved Exciton Dissociation at Semiconducting Polymer: ZnO Donor: Acceptor Interfaces via Nitrogen Doping of ZnO, Adv. Funct. Mater. 24: 3562-3570 (2014).
- R.L.Z Hoye, K.P. Musselman, J.L. MacManus-Driscoll,Research Update: Doping ZnO and TiO2 for solar cells, APL Mat. 1: 060701 (11pp) (2013).
- R. Ding, H. Dai, M. Li, J. Huang, Y. Li, M. Trevor, K.P. Musselman, The application of localized surface plasmons resonance in Ag nanoparticles assisted Si chemical etching, Appl. Phys. Lett. 104: 011602 (4pp)
- R.L.Z. Hoye, B. Ehrler, M.L. Böhm, D. Muñoz‐Rojas, R.M. Altamimi, A.Y. Alyamani, Y. Vaynzof, A. Sadhanala, G. Ercolano, N.C. Greenham, R.H. Friend, J.L. MacManus‐Driscoll, K.P. Musselman, Improved Open–Circuit Voltage in ZnO–PbSe Quantum Dot Solar Cells by Understanding and Reducing Losses Arising from the ZnO Conduction Band Tail, Adv. Energy Mater. 4: 1301544 (6pp) (2014).
- F. Bai, M. Li, R. Huang, Y. Li, M. Trevor, K.P. Musselman, A one-step template-free approach to achieve tapered silicon nanowire arrays with controllable filling ratios for solar cell applications, RSC Adv. 4: 1794-1798 (2014).
- D.C. Iza, D. Muñoz-Rojas, K.P. Musselman, J. Weickert, A.C. Jakowetz, H. Sun, X. Ren, R.L.Z. Hoye, J.H. Lee, H. Wang, L. Schmidt-Mende, J.L. MacManus-Driscoll, A novel architecture for complete light absorption and charge collection in bulk heterojunction solar cells, Nano. Res. Lett. 8: 359 (9pp) (2013).
- R.L.Z. Hoye, D. Muñoz-Rojas, D.C. Iza, K.P. Musselman, J.L. MacManus-Driscoll, High performance inverted bulk heterojunction solar cells by incorporation of dense, thin ZnO layers made using atmospheric atomic layer deposition, Sol. Energy Mater. Sol. Cells 116: 197-202 (2013).
- R.S. Moghaddam, S. Huettner, Y. Vaynzof, C. Ducati, G. Divitini, R.H. Lohwasser, K.P. Musselman, A. Sepe, M.R.J. Scherer, M. Thelakkat, U. Steiner, R.H. Friend, Polymer Crystallization as a Tool to Pattern Hybrid Nanostructures: Growth of 12 nm ZnO Arrays in Poly (3-hexylthiophene), Nano Lett. 13: 4499-4504 (2013).
- A.T. Marin, D. Muñoz‐Rojas, D.C. Iza, T. Gershon, K.P. Musselman, J.L. MacManus‐Driscoll, Novel Atmospheric Growth Technique to Improve Both Light Absorption and Charge Collection in ZnO/Cu2O Thin Film Solar Cells, Adv. Funct. Mater. 23: 3413-3419 (2013).
- A.T. Marin, K.P. Musselman, J.L. MacManus-Driscoll, Accurate determination of interface trap state parameters by admittance spectroscopy in the presence of a Schottky barrier contact: Application to ZnO-based solar cells, J. Appl. Phys. 113: 144502 (5pp) (2013).
- B. Ehrler, K.P. Musselman, M.L. Böhm, F.S.F. Morgenstern, Y. Vaynzof, B.J. Walker, J.L. MacManus-Driscoll, N.C. Greenham,Preventing interfacial recombination in colloidal quantum dot solar cells by doping the metal oxide, ACS Nano 7: 4210-4220 (2013).
- B. Ehrler, K.P. Musselman, M.L. Boehm, R.H. Friend, and N.C. Greenham, Hybrid pentacene/a-Si solar cells utilizing multiple carrier generation via singlet exciton fission, Appl. Phys. Lett. 101: 153507 (4pp) (2012).
- K.P. Musselman, A. Marin, L. Schmidt-Mende, J.L. MacManus-Driscoll, Incompatible Length Scales in Nanostructured Cu2O Solar Cells, Adv. Funct. Mater. 22: 2202-2208 (2012).
- T. Gershon, K.P. Musselman, A. Marin, R.H. Friend, J.L. MacManus-Driscoll, Thin-film ZnO/Cu2O solar cells by incorporating an organic buffer layer, Sol. Energy Mater. Sol. Cells 96: 148-154 (2012).
- K.P. Musselman, Y. Ievskaya, J.L. MacManus-Driscoll,Modelling Charge Transport in Heterojunction Solar Cells, Appl. Phys. Lett. 101: 253503 (4pp) (2012).
- K.P. Musselman, L. Schmidt-Mende, Nanostructured Inorganic Solar Cells, Green 1: 7-27 (2011).
- K.P. Musselman, T. Gershon, L. Schmidt-Mende, J.L. MacManus-Driscoll, Macroscopically uniform electrodeposited ZnO films on conducting glass by surface tension modification and consequent demonstration of significantly improved p-n heterojunctions, Electrochim. Acta 56: 3758-3763 (2011).
- K.P. Musselman, A. Marin, A. Wisnet, C. Scheu, J.L. MacManus-Driscoll, L. Schmidt-Mende, A Novel Buffering Technique for Aqueous Processing of Zinc Oxide Nanostructures and Interfaces, and Corresponding Improvement of Electrodeposited ZnO-Cu2O Photovoltaics, Adv. Funct. Mater. 21: 573-582 (2011).
- K.P. Musselman, A. Wisnet, D.C. Iza, H.C. Hesse, C. Scheu, J.L. MacManus-Driscoll, L. Schmidt-Mende, Strong Efficiency Improvements in Ultra-Low-Cost Inorganic Nanowire Solar Cells, Adv. Mater. 22: E254-E258 (2010).
- W. Wiedemann, L. Sims, A. Abdellah, A. Exner, R. Meier, K.P. Musselman, J.L. MacManus-Driscoll, P. Müller-Buschbaum, G. Scarpa, P. Lugli, L. Schmidt-Mende, Nanostructured Interfaces in Polymer Solar Cells, Appl. Phys. Lett. 96: 263109 (3pp) (2010).
- X. Ren, T. Gershon, D.C. Iza, D. Munoz-Rojas, K. Musselman, and J.L. MacManus-Driscoll, The selective fabrication of large-area highly ordered TiO2 nanorod and nanotube arrays on conductive transparent substrates via sol-gel electrophoresis, Nanotechnology 20: 365603 (5pp) (2009).
- K.P. Musselman, G.J. Mulholland, A.P. Robinson, L. Schmidt-Mende, and J.L. MacManus-Driscoll, Low Temperature Synthesis of Large-Area, Free-Standing Nanorod Arrays on ITO/Glass and other Conducting Substrates, Adv. Mater. 20: 4470-4475 (2008).