Research interests:nanomaterials, nanofabrication and nanodevices
Professor Norman Zhou is Canada Research Chair in Advanced Materials Joining and Processing. Zhou earned his PhD from the Department of Metallurgy and Materials Science, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada. Zhou worked as a Materials Scientist at the Fuel Development Branch, Atomic Energy of Canada, Ltd, Chalk River, Ontario, Canada and also worked as a Senior Research Engineer at the Microjoining and Plastics Group at the Edison Welding Institute, Columbus, Ohio,
U.S.A. Zhou has published over 400 peer reviewed journal papers and edited the first comprehensive books on “Microjoining and Nanojoining” and “Joining and Assembly of Medical Materials and Devices”.
PhD, Metallurgy and Material Science, University of Toronto, 1994
MSc, Welding Engineering, Tsinghua University, China, 1986
BSc, Welding Engineering, Tsinghua University, China, 1983
In his role as is Canada Research Chair in Advanced Materials Joining and Processing, Dr Zhou is focused on developing novel nanodevices such as memristors and battery-free IoT sensors and devices, new or improved micro- and nano-joining processes, and nanomaterial architectures for the removal of pharmaceutical pollutants during water treatment.
- Nanosensors and nanodevices
- Micro- and nano-joining processes
- Nanomaterial architectures for water treatment
Recent publications include:
- “A unified capacitive-coupled memristive model for the non-pinched current–voltage hysteresis loop”, Nano Lett., 19 (9), 2019, 6461-6465
- “Self-Powered Wearable Electronics Based on Moisture Enabled Electricity Generation”, Adv. Mater., 30, 2018, 1705925
- “Two-photon absorption induced nanowelding for assembling ZnO nanowires with enhanced photoelectrical properties”, Appl. Phys. Lett., 115, 2019, 103101 (6pp)
- “UV-induced multilevel current amplification memory effect in zinc oxide rods resistive switching devices”, Adv. Funct. Mater., 28(13), 2018, 1706230
- “Microjoining and Nanojoining”, CRC Press/Woodhead/Publishing, 2008