Contact Waterloo Institute for Nanotechnology
Mike & Ophelia Lazaridis Quantum-Nano Centre, Room 3606
University of Waterloo
200 University Ave. W.
Waterloo, ON. N2L 3G1
+1 519 888 4567, ext.38654
Research interests: coupling spins and nanomechanical oscillators; nanometer scale magnetic resonance imaging
Professor Raffi Budakian earned his Bachelor's, Master's and PhD degrees in Physics from the University of California, Los Angeles. From 2002 to 2005, he was a visiting scientist at IBM Almaden Research Center in San Jose, California. He then joined the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign until his appointment at the University of Waterloo. In 2005, he won a World Technology Award for his work on the detection and manipulation of quantum spins.
- PhD Physics, University of California, Los Angeles, 2000
- MS Physics, University of California, Los Angeles, 1995
- BS Physics, University of California, Los Angeles, summa cum laude, 1994
- Coupling spins and nanomechanical oscillators
- Nanometer scale magnetic resonance imaging
- Exploring nanometer scale quantum phenomena in condensed matter system
- J.M. Nichol, E.R. Hemesath, L.J. Lauhon, R. Budakian, Nanomechanical detection of nuclear magnetic resonance using a silicon nanowire oscillator. Phys. Rev. B., 054414-1-6 (2012).
- M. Kim, X.M. Chen, X. Wang, C.S. Nelson, R. Budakian, P. Abbamonte, S.L. Cooper, Pressure and field tuning the magnetostructural phases of Mn3O4: Raman scattering and x-ray diffraction studies. Phys. Rev. B., 174424-1-11 (2011).
- J. Jang, D.G. Ferguson, V. Vakaryuk, R. Budakian, S.B. Chung, P.M. Goldbart,and Y. Maeno, Observation of half-height magnetization steps in Sr2RuO4. Science 331, 186-188 (2011).
- R. Budakian, H. J. Mamin, B. W. Chui, and D. Rugar. Creating order from random fluctuations in small spin ensembles. Science 307, 408-411 (2005).
- R. Budakian, H. J. Mamin, and D. Rugar. Suppression of spin diffusion near a micron-size ferromagnet. Phys. Rev. Lett. 92, 037205-1-4 (2004).
- D. Rugar, R. Budakian, H. J. Mamin, and B. W. Chi. Single spin detection by magnetic resonance force microscopy. Nature 430, 329-332 (2004).
- H. J. Mamin, R. Budakian, B. W. Chui, and D. Rugar. Detection and manipulation of statistical polarization in small spin ensembles. Phys. Rev. Lett. 91, 207604-1-4 (2003)
Office: RAC 1114
Phone: 519-888-4567, ext.31058