Research Interests: Microfluidics/Nanofluidics; Bio-MEMS; Integrated Water Management
Sushanta Mitra is the Executive Director of the Waterloo Institute for Nanotechnology and a Professor in Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering and also cross-appointed as a Professor in the Department of Physics and Astronomy at the University of Waterloo. Before joining UW, he was the Associate Vice-President Research and Kaneff Professor in Micro & Nanotechnology for Social Innovation at the York University. His research interests are in the fundamental understanding of fluid transport in micro and nano-scale confinements with applications in energy, water, and bio-systems. He has authored and co-authored more than 130 peer-reviewed journal papers, which includes publications in Nature Publishing Group, American Physical Society, Royal Society of Chemistry, American Chemical Society and Elsevier journals. His research has been featured by number of media outlets including Maclean’s, Vancouver Sun, Edmonton Journal, Times of India. He has delivered over 100 invited lectures across the world including the 2012 Lester Pearson Lecture.
He is equally passionate about teaching and has implemented experiential learning for first year undergraduate engineering curriculum through public-private partnership. Currently, he is implementing a “Mobile First” learning platform to improve preparedness for post-secondary STEM programs in partnership with K-12 school and industry.
He was the Associate Scientific Director for the Canada-India Research Centre of Excellence, IC-IMPACTS, the first bi-national Network Centres of Excellence created by the federal government of Canada. Among many other responsibilities, he is currently the immediate Past-President of the Canadian Society for Mechanical Engineering and is a member of the Committee on International Scientific Affairs, American Physical Society. For his contributions in engineering and sciences, he has been elected as the Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), the Canadian Society for Mechanical Engineering (CSME), the Engineering Institute of Canada (EIC), the Canadian Academy for Engineering (CAE), the Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC, UK), the American Physical Society (APS), the Indian National Academy of Engineering (INAE – Foreign Fellow), and the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). He is also a Fellow of the National Institute for Nanotechnology (NINT) and the recipient of 2015 Engineering Excellence Medal from the Ontario Society of Professional Engineers.
Recent publications include:
- B. N. Sahoo, N. S. K. Gunda, S. Nanda, J. Kozinski, and S. K. Mitra, “Development of dual phobic surfaces: Superamphiphobicity in air and oleophobicity in underwater”, ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, Vol. 5, pp 6716–6726, 2017.
- S. Dasgupta, N. S. K. Gunda, and S. K. Mitra, “Fishing, trapping and killing of Escherichia coli (E. coli) in potable water ”, Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology, Vol. 2, pp. 931-941, 2016 (Cover Article).
- S. Mitra and S. K. Mitra, “Understanding the early regime of drop spreading”, Langmuir, Vol. 32, pp. 8843 – 8848, 2016 (Cover Article).
- N. S. K. Gunda, R. Chavali, and S. K. Mitra, “Hydrogel based rapid test method for detection of Escherichia coli (E.coli) in contaminated water samples”, Analyst, Vol. 141, pp. 2920 – 2929, 2016 (Cover Article).
- P. Waghmare, N. S. K. Gunda and S. K. Mitra, “Under-water superoleophobicity of fish scales”, Scientific Reports, Vol. 4, 7454, 2014.
- N. S. K. Gunda, S. Naicker, S. Shinde, S. Kimbahune, S. Shrivastava, and S. K. Mitra, “Mobile Water Kit (MWK): A Smartphone Compatible Low-Cost Water Monitoring system for rapid detection of total coliform and E. coli”, Analytical Methods, Vol. 6, pp. 6236 – 6246 , 2014 (Cover Article).
- N. S. K. Gunda, M. Singh, L. Norman, K. Kaur, and S. K. Mitra, “Optimization and characterization of biomolecule immobilization on silicon substrates using (3-aminopropyl) triethoxy silane (APTES) and glutaraldehyde linker”, Applied Surface Science, Vol. 305, pp. 522-530, 2014.
- P. Waghmare, S. Das, and S. K. Mitra, “Drop deposition on under-liquid low energy surfaces”, Soft Matter, Vol. 9, pp. 7437-7447, 2013 (Cover Article).
- P. Waghmare, S. Das, and S. K. Mitra, “Under-water superoleophobic Glass: Unexplored role of the surfactant-rich solvent”, Scientific Reports, Vol. 3, 1862, 2013.
- R. Mishra, S. Das, and S. K. Mitra, “Electric double layer force between charged surfaces: Effect of solvent polarization”, J. Chem. Phys., Vol. 138, 114703, 2013.
- S. Das, S. Chakraborty, and S. K. Mitra, “Redefining electrical double layer thickness in narrow confinements: Effect of solvent polarization”, Physical Review E, Vol. 85, 051508, 2012.
- B. Bera, N. S. K. Gunda, S. K. Mitra and D. Vick, “Characterization of nanometre-scale porosity in reservoir carbonate rock by Focused Ion Beam-Scanning Electron Microscopy (FIB-SEM)”, Microscopy Microanalysis, Vol. 18, pp. 171 – 178, 2012.
- N. S. K. Gunda, B. Bera, N. Karadimitriou, S. K. Mitra and S. M. Majid Hassanizadeh, “Reservoir-on-a-Chip (ROC): A new paradigm in Reservoir Engineering”, Lab Chip, Vol. 11, 3785 – 3792, 2011 (Featured Article, Research Highlight from Royal Society of Chemistry 2011).
- A. Mohammadpour, P. Waghmare, S. K. Mitra and K. Shankar, “Anodic Growth of Large-Diameter Multipodal TiO2 Nanotubes”, ACS Nano, Vol. 4, pp. 7421–7430, 2010.