Information for

Course enrollment and planning

Enrolling in courses via "Quest"


First-year Kinesiology students are pre-enrolled by the Department in their required courses for the first year. For details, see first-year course enrollment.


Upper-year students must enroll themselves in BOTH required and elective courses. You are responsible to ensure that you are following your required sequence (see the Student Handbook for your year of entry). Be sure to look on the Schedule of Classes as well for times and locations of all available courses each term.

You will enroll in your electives online using Quest. This can be done during your enrolment appointment or during open enrolment. Enrolment appointments usually occur over a three day period approximately 7 months before the term starts. During this time your Quest account will be active so you can enroll yourself into courses.

Prior to enrolment there is a course selection period during which all upper year students should submit requests on Quest for Future Term Offerings (required and elective courses). If you have any problems or require consent to enroll, contact your academic advisor. NOTE: Pre-enrolling in courses gives you a much better chance of getting the courses that you want or need. It does not however guarantee you will get the courses requested.

You will have the first two weeks of classes to add new classes, and the first three weeks to drop classes! Please use the SWAP function to make course changes.  This will ensure you remain in the original course if the desired section/course is full.

Students are encouraged to use the following planning tools to guide their studies and ensure all degree requirements are met:

Back to top

Problems with enrollment?

If you are unable to enroll in a course using Quest there are a couple of things you should consider.

  • Is the class full?
  • Do you have the necessary pre-requisites?
  • Are there reserves (seats held for specific groups of students)?

You can answer these questions using the Schedule of Classes and the Undergraduate Calendar. If these conditions exist, contact the instructor to request permission to enroll. If they approve, have them sign a Course Override form (PDF) and submit it to the Registrar's Office for processing.

HINT: If the instructor does not agree to allow an override, you could watch enrolment numbers on Quest during the first week of classes. If a seat suddenly becomes available you should be able to grab it.

Back to top

Drop and Add courses

Add courses

Courses may be added on Quest during your enrolment appointment or during the open enrolment period. Open enrolment for each term continues until the end of the 2nd week of classes in that term (or the end of the first week of classes for Distance Education courses). Course additions are not permitted after the end of the 2nd week of classes.

For a detailed list of all Kinesiology courses including required/electives, pre-requisites needed and terms offered, see Kinesiology course offerings by term.

Back to top

Drop courses

You are not normally permitted to drop required courses; however, you can usually drop elective courses depending on how many weeks of the term have passed.

If you receive an error message when attempting to drop a course on Quest you should contact an academic advisor for assistance.

When you are enrolled in only one course you are not able to drop your final course without approval, as you must formally withdraw from the term.

Back to top

Important drop dates to remember

No Penalty Period

Courses dropped during the first three weeks of classes disappear from your schedule. Your transcript will not show that you attempted this course. If you are enrolled full-time (4 courses or more) you are not allowed to drop below 4 courses without obtaining permission from an academic advisor.

Penalty 1 Period – WD (Withdrew – no academic penalty)

Courses dropped between the fourth and tenth weeks of classes will continue to show on your transcript with a grade of WD. This shows that you attempted the course but dropped it during the term however the grade does not count in your average.

Penalty 2 Period – WF (Withdrew – failed)

Normally, no courses may be dropped without academic penalty after the tenth week of classes (check the “Important Dates” listed on Quest for the specific date each term). A grade of WF is assigned and counts as a failure (32%) in your average.

There is also a date, usually just prior to the examination period, when you are no longer permitted to drop any courses without a petition.

Back to top

Enrolling in courses at Wilfrid Laurier University

If the course that you would like to take is listed in the University of Waterloo course offerings list with the division code “WLU”, you may enroll for the course as if it were a Waterloo course. If the course is not listed, you must follow the cross-registration procedures. Cross Registration forms are available on-line under Cross Registration (PDF). Keep in mind that students may only take two (2) WLU Kinesiology and Physical Education (KPE) courses (0.50 units) for credit.*

Back to top

Enrolling in courses at another university

Under the Letter of Permission Policy, a student may request permission to take a course(s) at another university for credit towards their degree at the University of Waterloo. All courses taken on Letter of Permission will be recorded with a grade of CR and will not factor into average calculations. Letter of Permission forms are available on-line under the 'printable forms' site. The Letter of Permission must be accompanied by a detailed description of the course requested, the reason for the request, and a $25.00 fee.

Back to top

Course offerings

The Department of Kinesiology offers a broad range of courses for students to enrol in. To view the course descriptions and pre-requisites - Undergraduate Course Descriptions

For course offerings by term - Schedule of Classes

Current Kinesiology students can view course syllabi on the KIN Advising LEARN page. All others will need to contact Lee Chandler, the Undergraduate Program Assistant, for inquiries regarding course syllabi.

Back to top