Baris Fidan is a Professor in Mechanical & Mechatronics Engineering, with cross appointment in System Design Engineering and Electrical & Computer Engineering at the University of Waterloo. He is a senior member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) and the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA).
His research interests include cooperative and adaptive control, system identification, nonlinear system theory, multi-agent systems and sensor networks, robotics and intelligent systems, and various control applications including vehicular controls and control of mechatronic and biomedical systems.
Professor Fidan has been the principal investigator for the NSERC discovery programs `Cooperative and Adaptive Mechatronic Systems: Identification, Control, and Optimization' and
‘Distributed Geometric Coordination of Autonomous Vehicle Networks Moving in Three Dimensions’ and the CFI-ORF Research Infrastructure ‘Cooperative Autonomous Vehicle Network Test-Bed’. He has also been the principal investigator or co-investigator of a number of industrial research projects, including the Mitacs Project `Localization, Monitoring, and Motion Coordination of Autonomous Indoor Service Robots', NSERC/ORF CRD projects `Autonomous Driving Strategies for Urban and Highway Environments', `Development of New Technologies for Design and Popularization of Urban Vehicles', `Holistic Vehicle Control', `Hard Shaping and Accelerated Dressing Technologies for High-Productivity / High-Quality Gear Manufacture'.
- Nonlinear adaptive and switched dynamical systems Robust adaptive control
- Mechatronic system control
- Autonomous multi-agent dynamical systems Coordination and localization in sensor networks
- Geometric optimization in multi-sensor systems
- Autonomous vehicle motion planning and control Cooperative driving
- Vehicle stability control
- High performance flight control
- MEMS/NEMS control
- Autonomous and Connected Car
- Operational Artificial Intelligence
- 2003, Doctorate, Electrical Engineering, University of Southern California
- 1998, Master's, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Bilkent University
- 1996, Bachelor's, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Mathematics, Middle East Technical University
- ME 360 - Introduction to Control Systems
- Taught in 2019
- ME 547 - Robot Manipulators: Kinematics, Dynamics, Control
- Taught in 2020, 2021
- ME 780 - Special Topics in Mechatronics
- Taught in 2019, 2020, 2022, 2023
- MTE 360 - Automatic Control Systems
- Taught in 2020, 2023
- MTE 481 - Mechatronics Engineering Design Project
- Taught in 2020, 2021
- MTE 482 - Mechatronics Engineering Project
- Taught in 2021, 2022
* Only courses taught in the past 5 years are displayed.
- Mehdi Jalalmaab, Mohammad Pirani, Baris Fidan and Soo Jeon, Cooperative Estimation of Road Condition Based on Dynamic Consensus and Vehicular Communication, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Vehicles, 4(1), 2019, 90 - 100
- S. Guler, B. Fidan, S. Dasgupta, B.D.O. Anderson, and I. Shames, "Adaptive source localization based station keeping of autonomous vehicles," IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control, vol. 62, no. 7, pp. 3122-3135, July 2017.
- I. Umay and B. Fidan, "Adaptive wireless biomedical capsule tracking based on magnetic sensing," (Springer) International Journal of Wireless Information Networks, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 189-199, June 2017.
- Khosravani, Saeid and Kasaiezadeh, Alireza and Khajepour, Amir and Fidan, Baris and Chen, Shih-Ken and Litkouhi, Bakhtiar, Torque-Vectoring-Based Vehicle Control Robust to Driver Uncertainties, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, 64(8), 2015, 3359 - 3367
- Fidan, Baris and Dasgupta, Soura and Anderson, Brian DO and others, Guaranteeing practical convergence in algorithms for sensor and source localization, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, 56(9), 2008, 4458 - 4469
- Fidan, Baris and Zhang, Youping and Ioannou, Petros A, Adaptive control of a class of slowly time varying systems with modeling uncertainties, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 50(6), 2005, 915 - 920
- P.A. Ioannou and B. Fidan, Adaptive Control Tutorial, SIAM Society for Industrial & Applied Mathematics, TJ217.I628, ISBN 0-89871-615-2, 2006.
- G. Mao and B. Fidan (editors), Localization Algorithms and Strategies for Wireless Sensor Networks, IGI Global - Information Science Publishing, TK7872.D48L63, ISBN 1-60566-396-4, 2009.
- Currently considering applications from graduate students. A completed online application is required for admission; start the application process now.