Behrad Khamesee is a Professor in the Department of Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering at the University of Waterloo. He is also an integral member of the Waterloo Center for Automotive Research (WATCAR).
Professor Khamesee’s research interests are in microrobotics, micromanipulation using magnetic levitation, magnetically driven medical microrobots for drug delivery and microsurgery, smart structures and actuators, and the development of a cost-effective prosthetic leg.
He is also the Director of Maglev Microrobotics Laboratory, which studies the design and development of magnetically levitated (Maglev) robots. A magnetic Levitation setup enabling high precision 3D remote positioning was built. The lab is also working on the development and industrialization of various applications of magnetism such as electromagnetic energy harvesters for human locomotion and regenerative electromagnetic suspension system for vehicles, and non-destructive testing for detecting cracks and defects in live pipelines.
- Magnetic levitation
- Automation and robotics
- Biomechanics and Biotechnology
- Connectivity and Internet of Things
- Electromagnetic Actuators
- Additive Manufacturing
- Energy harvesting
- Advanced manufacturing
- 1999, Doctorate, Ph.D. Degree in Systems Engineering (Mechatronics), Mechatronics Laboratory, Mechanical Engineering Dept., Mie University
- 1996, Master's, M.Sc. Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics Laboratory, Mechanical Engineering Dept., Mie University
- 1989, Bachelor's, Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, Department of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Amirkabir University of Technology, Tehran
- ME 101 - Intro to Mech. Eng. Practice 2
- Taught in 2016, 2017
- ME 555 - Computer-Aided Design
- Taught in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
- ME 780 - Spec Tpcs in Mechatronics
- Taught in 2018
- MTE 380 - MTE Eng. Design Workshop
- Taught in 2017
- MTE 481 - MTE Eng. Design Project
- Taught in 2019
- MTE 482 - MTE Engineering Project
- Taught in 2020
- Babak Ebrahimi, Mir Behrad Khamesee, Farid Golnaraghi, Development of an Eddy-Current Damper for Automobile Suspension - Modeling, Simulation and Testing , Vehicle System Dynamics
- C Elbuken, L Gui, C L Ren, M Yavuz and M B Khamesee, Design and analysis of a polymeric photo-thermal microactuator, Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering
- Ehsan Shameli , Mir Behrad Khamesee, Jan Paul Huissoon, Dynamic Modeling and Adaptive Feedback Linearization Control of a Magnetic Levitation System , Smart Materials and Structures
- Babak Ebrahimi, Mir Behrad Khamesee, M. Farid Golnaraghi, Design and Modeling of a Magnetic Shock Absorber Based on Eddy Current Damping Effect, Journal of Sound and Vibration
- Craig D.G., Khamesee M.B., Black-box model identification of a magnetically levitated microrobotic system, Journal of Smart Mater. Struct. 16 (April 2007) 739-747, 2007
- Currently considering applications from graduate students. A completed online application is required for admission; start the application process now.