Norman Zhou is a Professor and Canada Research Chair (Tier I) in Advanced Materials Joining and Processing in the Department of Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering and also cross-appointed into the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Waterloo. He is a member of the Waterloo Institute of Technology, the Centre for Bioengineering and Biotechnology and Water Institute, at the University of Waterloo.
Professor Zhou is the Associate Director of the Centre for Advanced Materials Joining (CAMJ) at the University of Waterloo. CAMJ aims to develop innovative technologies for materials joining and processing, including micro- and nano-joining. CAMJ collaborates with leading companies in the industry for research and development, and also trains and works with students.
Professor Zhou’s expertise lies in the areas of advanced welding and joining technologies, nanomaterials fabrication in applications such as nanosensing and water treatment, and laser processing of shape memory alloys. His research has applications in several areas such as microelectronics, medical and health-related, and automotive industries. He is a fellow of CAE, AWS and ASM.
Professor Zhou has authored and co-authored over 400 refereed journal papers and several books, including “Microjoining and Nanojoining” and “Joining and Assembly of Medical Materials and Devices”. Professor Zhou is a co-founder of SmarterAlloys.com. He has trained over 50 MASc and 30 PhD graduates, and 60 PDFs/visiting scholars since 2000.
- Advanced Materials Joining
- Bonding Mechanisms
- Joint Performance
- Materials Science and Technology
- Mathematical Modeling
- Medical Components and Devices
- Lightweight Materials
- Drinking water
- Process Development & Optimization
- Computational Modelling
- Process Monitoring
- Welding (laser resistance welding etc.) for automotive applications
- Additive Manufacturing
- Advanced Manufacturing
- 1994, Doctorate, Metcallurgy and Materials Science, University of Toronto
- 1986, Master's, Mechincal Enginering, Tsinghua University
- 1983, Bachelor's, Mechnical Engineering, Tsinghua University
- ME 535 - Welding Metallurgy
- Taught in 2018
- ME 735 - Special Topics - Welding and Joining
- Taught in 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022
- M.H. Razmpoosh, A. Macwan, E. Biro, D.L. Chen, Y. Peng, F. Goodwin, Y. Zhou, Liquid metal embrittlement in laser beam welding of Zn-coated 22MnB5 steel, Materials & Design, 155, 2018, 375 - 383
- C. DiGiovanni, E. Biro, N.Y. Zhou, Impact of liquid metal embrittlement cracks on resistance spot weld static strength, Science and Technology of Welding and Joining
- Shen, Daozhi and Zou, Guisheng and Liu, Lei and Duley, Walter W and Zhou, Y Norman, Investigation of splashing phenomena during the impact of molten sub-micron gold droplets on solid surfaces, Soft matter, 12(1), 2016, 295 - 301
- Saha, DC and Biro, E and Gerlich, AP and Zhou, Y, Effects of tempering mode on the structural changes of martensite, Materials Science and Engineering: A, 673, 2016, 467 - 475
- Lin, Luchan and Liu, Lei and Musselman, Kevin and Zou, Guisheng and Duley, Walt W and Zhou, Y Norman, Plasmonic-Radiation-Enhanced Metal Oxide Nanowire Heterojunctions for Controllable Multilevel Memory, Advanced Functional Materials, 2016
- Russo, Paola and Liang, Robert and Jabari, Elahe and Marzbanrad, Ehsan and Toyserkani, Ehsan and Zhou, Y Norman, Single-step synthesis of graphene quantum dots by femtosecond laser ablation of graphene oxide dispersions, Nanoscale, 8(16), 2016, 8863 - 8877
- Pequegnat, Andrew and Panton, Boyd and Zhou, Y Norman and Khan, M Ibraheem, Local composition and microstructure control for multiple pseudoelastic plateau and hybrid self-biasing shape memory alloys, Materials & Design, 92, 2016, 802 - 813
- Saha, DC and Biro, E and Gerlich, AP and Zhou, YN, Fiber Laser Welding of AlSiCoated PressHardened Steel, Welding Journal, 2016
- OL Ighodaro, E Biro, YN Zhou, Comparative effects of Al-Si and galvannealed coatings on the properties of resistance spot welded hot stamping steel joints, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 236, 2016, 64 - 72
- D.C. Saha, E. Biro, A.P. Gerlich, N.Y. Zhou, Fusion zone microstructure evolution of fiber laser welded press-hardened steels, Scripta Metallurgica, 121, 2016, 18 - 22
- Saha, Dulal Chandra and Nayak, Sashank S and Biro, Elliot and Gerlich, Adrian P and Zhou, Y, Mechanism of Secondary Hardening in Rapid Tempering of Dual-Phase Steel, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, 45(13), 2014, 6153 - 6162
- E. Biro, J.R. McDermid, S. Vignier, Y.N. Zhou, Decoupling of the softening processes during rapid tempering of a martensitic steel, Material Science and Engineering A, 615, 2014, 395 - 404
- E. Biro, S. Vignier, C. Kaczynski, J. McDermid, E. Lucas, J.D. Embury, Y. Zhou, Predicting Transient Softening in the Sub-Critical Heat-Affected Zone of Dual-Phase and Martensitic Steel Welds, ISIJ International, 53(1), 2013, 110 - 118
- Biro, E and McDermid, JR and Embury, JD and Zhou, Y, Softening kinetics in the subcritical heat-affected zone of dual-phase steel welds, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, 41(9), 2010, 2348 - 2356
In the News
- Currently considering applications from graduate students. A completed online application is required for admission; start the application process now.