Norman Zhou is a Professor in the Department of Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering, and is also a member of the Waterloo Institute of Technology at the University of Waterloo.
He has held the University Research Chair in Microjoining since 2014, and is also the Director of the Centre for Advanced Materials Joining (CAMJ) at the University of Waterloo. CAMJ aims to develop innovative technologies for materials joining, including micro- and nano-joining. CAMJ collaborates with leading companies in the industry for research and development, and also trains and works with students.
Professor Zhou’s expertise lies in the areas of advanced welding and joining technologies, nanomaterials fabrication in applications such as water treatment, and laser processing of shape memory alloys. His research at the CAMJ has applications in several areas such as microelectronics, medical, and automotive industries. Professor Zhou’s research goal is to develop practical interconnection and assembly technologies of nano-devices.
He has authored and co-authored over 250 refereed journal papers and several books, including “Microjoining and Nanojoining” and “Joining and Assembly of Medical Materials and Devices”. Professor Zhou is a fellow of ASM International and the American Welding Society, as well as a co-founder of SmarterAlloys.com.
- Advanced Materials Joining
- Bonding Mechanisms
- Joint Performance
- Materials Science And Technology
- Mathematical Modeling
- Medical Components And Devices
- Lightweight Materials
- Drinking Water
- Process Development & Optimization
- Computational Modelling
- Process Monitoring
- Welding (laser Resistance Welding Etc.) For Automotive Applications
- Additive Manufacturing
- Advanced Manufacturing
- 1994, Doctorate, Metcallurgy and Materials Science, University of Toronto
- 1986, Master's, Mechincal Enginering, Tsinghua University
- 1983, Bachelor's, Mechnical Engineering, Tsinghua University
- ME 535 - Welding Metallurgy
- Taught in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- ME 735 - Special Topics - Welding and Joining
- Taught in 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Pequegnat, Andrew and Panton, Boyd and Zhou, Y Norman and Khan, M Ibraheem, Local composition and microstructure control for multiple pseudoelastic plateau and hybrid self-biasing shape memory alloys, Materials & Design, 92, 2016, 802 - 813
- Lin, Luchan and Liu, Lei and Musselman, Kevin and Zou, Guisheng and Duley, Walt W and Zhou, Y Norman, Plasmonic-Radiation-Enhanced Metal Oxide Nanowire Heterojunctions for Controllable Multilevel Memory, Advanced Functional Materials, 2016
- Saha, DC and Biro, E and Gerlich, AP and Zhou, YN, Fiber Laser Welding of AlSiCoated PressHardened Steel, Welding Journal, 2016
- Russo, Paola and Liang, Robert and Jabari, Elahe and Marzbanrad, Ehsan and Toyserkani, Ehsan and Zhou, Y Norman, Single-step synthesis of graphene quantum dots by femtosecond laser ablation of graphene oxide dispersions, Nanoscale, 8(16), 2016, 8863 - 8877
- Shen, Daozhi and Zou, Guisheng and Liu, Lei and Duley, Walter W and Zhou, Y Norman, Investigation of splashing phenomena during the impact of molten sub-micron gold droplets on solid surfaces, Soft matter, 12(1), 2016, 295 - 301