Norman Zhou is a Professor in the Department of Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering, and is also a member of the Waterloo Institute of Technology at the University of Waterloo.
He has held the University Research Chair in Microjoining since 2014, and is also the Director of the Centre for Advanced Materials Joining (CAMJ) at the University of Waterloo. CAMJ aims to develop innovative technologies for materials joining, including micro- and nano-joining. CAMJ collaborates with leading companies in the industry for research and development, and also trains and works with students.
Professor Zhou’s expertise lies in the areas of advanced welding and joining technologies, nanomaterials fabrication in applications such as water treatment, and laser processing of shape memory alloys. His research at the CAMJ has applications in several areas such as microelectronics, medical, and automotive industries. Professor Zhou’s research goal is to develop practical interconnection and assembly technologies of nano-devices.
He has authored and co-authored over 250 refereed journal papers and several books, including “Microjoining and Nanojoining” and “Joining and Assembly of Medical Materials and Devices”. Professor Zhou is a fellow of ASM International and the American Welding Society, as well as a co-founder of SmarterAlloys.com.
- 1994, Doctorate, Metcallurgy and Materials Science, University of Toronto
- 1986, Master's, Mechincal Enginering, Tsinghua University
- 1983, Bachelor's, Mechnical Engineering, Tsinghua University
- ME 535 - Welding Metallurgy
- Taught in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- ME 735 - Special Topics - Welding and Joining
- Taught in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- M.H. Razmpoosh, A. Macwan, E. Biro, D.L. Chen, Y. Peng, F. Goodwin, Y. Zhou, Liquid metal embrittlement in laser beam welding of Zn-coated 22MnB5 steel, Materials & Design, 155, 2018, 375 - 383
- C. DiGiovanni, E. Biro, N.Y. Zhou, Impact of liquid metal embrittlement cracks on resistance spot weld static strength, Science and Technology of Welding and Joining
- Pequegnat, Andrew and Panton, Boyd and Zhou, Y Norman and Khan, M Ibraheem, Local composition and microstructure control for multiple pseudoelastic plateau and hybrid self-biasing shape memory alloys, Materials & Design, 92, 2016, 802 - 813
- Saha, DC and Biro, E and Gerlich, AP and Zhou, YN, Fiber Laser Welding of AlSiCoated PressHardened Steel, Welding Journal, 2016
- Shen, Daozhi and Zou, Guisheng and Liu, Lei and Duley, Walter W and Zhou, Y Norman, Investigation of splashing phenomena during the impact of molten sub-micron gold droplets on solid surfaces, Soft matter, 12(1), 2016, 295 - 301
- Saha, DC and Biro, E and Gerlich, AP and Zhou, Y, Effects of tempering mode on the structural changes of martensite, Materials Science and Engineering: A, 673, 2016, 467 - 475
- Lin, Luchan and Liu, Lei and Musselman, Kevin and Zou, Guisheng and Duley, Walt W and Zhou, Y Norman, Plasmonic-Radiation-Enhanced Metal Oxide Nanowire Heterojunctions for Controllable Multilevel Memory, Advanced Functional Materials, 2016
- Russo, Paola and Liang, Robert and Jabari, Elahe and Marzbanrad, Ehsan and Toyserkani, Ehsan and Zhou, Y Norman, Single-step synthesis of graphene quantum dots by femtosecond laser ablation of graphene oxide dispersions, Nanoscale, 8(16), 2016, 8863 - 8877
- D.C. Saha, E. Biro, A.P. Gerlich, N.Y. Zhou, Fusion zone microstructure evolution of fiber laser welded press-hardened steels, Scripta Metallurgica, 121, 2016, 18 - 22
- OL Ighodaro, E Biro, YN Zhou, Comparative effects of Al-Si and galvannealed coatings on the properties of resistance spot welded hot stamping steel joints, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 236, 2016, 64 - 72
- Saha, Dulal Chandra and Nayak, Sashank S and Biro, Elliot and Gerlich, Adrian P and Zhou, Y, Mechanism of Secondary Hardening in Rapid Tempering of Dual-Phase Steel, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, 45(13), 2014, 6153 - 6162
- E. Biro, J.R. McDermid, S. Vignier, Y.N. Zhou, Decoupling of the softening processes during rapid tempering of a martensitic steel, Material Science and Engineering A, 615, 2014, 395 - 404
- E. Biro, S. Vignier, C. Kaczynski, J. McDermid, E. Lucas, J.D. Embury, Y. Zhou, Predicting Transient Softening in the Sub-Critical Heat-Affected Zone of Dual-Phase and Martensitic Steel Welds, ISIJ International, 53(1), 2013, 110 - 118
- Biro, E and McDermid, JR and Embury, JD and Zhou, Y, Softening kinetics in the subcritical heat-affected zone of dual-phase steel welds, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, 41(9), 2010, 2348 - 2356