Research-based graduate programs - Funding and Awards

students studying and talking

A variety of scholarships, assistantships, and other forms of financial aid are available for graduate students in the School of Public Health Sciences. Most of these awards are for full-time graduate students enrolled in research-based degree programs. 

Demystifying funding: A guide for prospective graduate students 

Watch this video that explains some of the concepts and processes around funding your graduate education. 

Remote video URL

School of Public Health Sciences financial support

Full-time MSc (thesis-based) students are guaranteed funding. Funding normally comes in the form of a Teaching Assistantship (TA), Research Assistantship (RA) or a major award.

Current guaranteed funding details for research-based Master's students

The Faculty of Health is committed to providing funding over four years to support new full-time domestic doctoral students as part of its PhD funding initiative. Students may also be eligible for additional scholarship and funding opportunities.

Current guaranteed funding details for doctoral students

Teaching and research assistantships

Teaching Assistantships (TAs) and Research Assistantships (RAs) are available to students enrolled in research-based degree programs.

Applicants who are accepted full-time for the Doctoral program will normally receive funding for the first four years of the doctoral program. Teaching and research assistantships are 10 hours per week for 16 weeks per term.

The latest compensation rates can be found on the Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs website.

Scholarships and awards

University of Waterloo Graduate Scholarships are awarded at the departmental level for excellent progress and high academic achievement.

Academically strong full-time graduate students are encouraged to apply for external scholarships including: 

Tri-Council Scholarships:

  • NSERC scholarships (for domestic master's and doctoral students in science and technology fields) 
  • SSHRC scholarships (for domestic master’s and doctoral students in social sciences and humanities)
  • CIHR scholarships (for domestic master’s and doctoral students involved in health-related research)

Other scholarships:

Exceptional domestic and international scholars are encouraged to apply for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship and should apply in the early Fall (September and October deadlines) for the following academic year. Workshops are offered to assist with the application process.

The University of Waterloo President's Graduate Scholarship (PGS) is available to supplement Tri-Council Scholarships, OGS/ QEII and Vanier scholarship recipients. A faculty component of this additional funding may include TA or RA opportunities.

The Governor General's Academic Gold Medal and the University of Waterloo Alumni Gold Medal are awarded to outstanding students, following completion of all their degree requirements, in recognition of academic excellence. Students are nominated for these awards by their Departmental Graduate Committees.

Bursaries and financial aid

There are a variety of financial resources available for graduate students. 

Bursaries are available for students who demonstrate financial need and are administered through the Student Awards and Financial Aid department. These are restricted to students who are Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents.

The Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) provides various types of assistance based on financial need to eligible students.

The Faculty of Health also has an Emergency Loan Fund for graduate students experiencing short-term financial difficulties.

The Provost's/Faculty of Health Graduate Incentive Fund Scholarship is a special fund designed to increase the pool of female candidates for faculty positions in Canada.

Information on graduate parental leave and day care bursaries can be found on the Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs' financial need funding page. 

Travel funding

Other university and external funding