James R. Thompson
Assistant Professor; David C. Higginbotham PwC Fellow; Finance; Approved Doctoral Dissertation Supervisor
Office: Hagey Hall 289D
Phone: 519-888-4567 x38601
Education and certifications
- PhD Economics (Queen's University)
- Masters Economics, Financial Specialization (Queen's University)
- Bachelors Computer Science and Economics (University of Western Ontario)
- Thompson, James R., "Counterparty Risk in Financial Contracts: Should the Insured Worry About the Insurer?". August 2010, Quarterly Journal of Economics.
- Stephens, Eric and James R. Thompson "CDS As Insurance: Leaky Lifeboats in Stormy Seas". Forthcoming, Journal of Financial Intermediation.
- Stephens, Eric and James R. Thompson "Separation Without Exclusion in Financial Insurance". Forthcoming, Journal of Risk and Insurance.
University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School
- Finance (FNCE) 726 - Advanced Corporate Finance (MBA)
University of Waterloo, School of Accounting and Finance
- AFM 274 - Managerial Finance II
- AFM 271 - Corporate Finance I
- AFM 272 - Mathematical Corporate Finance I
- David C. Higginbotham PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) Fellowship, 2011-2013.
- C.A. Curtis Award, Queen's University, 2011.
- Ernst-Meyer Award of the Geneva Association, 2009.
- Northern Finance Association Best Paper Award, 2008.
- Toronto Chartered Financial Analyst Society Finance and Economics Award, 2008.
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) Insight Grant, Principal Investigator, $67,692, 2013-2016.
- DART Wharton Research Grant, $9500, 2012.
- Canadian Securities Institute Research Foundation Academic Grant, $70,000, 2008-2011.
- University of Waterloo Start-up Research Grant, 2008.
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship, 2008.
- SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship, 2005-2007.
- E. Gay Mitchell Graduate Fellowship in Finance, 2006-2007.
University of Waterloo