Office: Hagey Hall 289D
Education and certifications
- PhD Economics (Queen's University)
- Masters Economics, Financial Specialization (Queen's University)
- Bachelors Computer Science and Economics (University of Western Ontario)
- Thompson, James R., "Counterparty Risk in Financial Contracts: Should the Insured Worry About the Insurer?". August 2010, Quarterly Journal of Economics.
- Stephens, Eric and James R. Thompson "CDS As Insurance: Leaky Lifeboats in Stormy Seas". July 2014, Journal of Financial Intermediation.
- Stephens, Eric and James R. Thompson "Separation Without Exclusion in Financial Insurance". December 2015 , Journal of Risk and Insurance.
- Allen, Jason and James R. Thompson "Variable Pay: Is It For The Worker Or The Firm?". October 2019, Journal of Corporate Finance.
University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School
- Finance (FNCE) 726 - Advanced Corporate Finance (MBA)
University of Waterloo, Computing and Financial Managment
- CFM 101 - Introduction to Financial Markets and Data Analytics
University of Waterloo, School of Accounting and Finance
- AFM 476 - Advanced Corporate Finance
- AFM 373 - Cases and Applications in Corporate Finance
- AFM 274 - Managerial Finance II
- AFM 271 - Corporate Finance I
- AFM 272 - Mathematical Corporate Finance I
University of Waterloo, Department of Actuarial Science
- ACTSC 471 - Advanced Corporate Finance for Actuarial Science
- David C. Higginbotham PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) Fellowship, 2011-2013.
- C.A. Curtis Award, Queen's University, 2011.
- Ernst-Meyer Award of the Geneva Association, 2009.
- Northern Finance Association Best Paper Award, 2008.
- Toronto Chartered Financial Analyst Society Finance and Economics Award, 2008.
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) Insight Grant, Principal Investigator, $67,692, 2013-2016.
- DART Wharton Research Grant, $9500, 2012.
- Canadian Securities Institute Research Foundation Academic Grant, $70,000, 2008-2011.
- Experts Eye Banks with Less Confidence - The Record
- Q&A with the Experts: The Banking Crisis in Canada
- Banking Crisis Echoes 2008 but with 'Marked Differences
CBC KW Radio: What you should think about when planning for retirement during COVID-19
- Waterloo researcher looks at what makes markets tick…or tank
- 570 News, Panama Papers: a look at the secretive world of offshore tax havens
- CBC The Exchange, Panama Papers Go Online