Travel to Israel!
Learn about scientific innovation and entrepreneurship in a global context through experiential learning and cultural exchange. The course normally takes place mid-August to early September.
Due to the global impact of COVID-19, our 2020 exchange has been cancelled. No applications are being accepted at this time. Please email email@example.com with any questions or for further information.
This web page will be updated when details about the 2021 exchange are known.
Commercialization of scientific innovations is one of the major driving forces behind global technology and economic advancement. Entrepreneurship remains one of the leading ways through which scientific innovations are brought to market and societal benefits are realized. Globally, several regions (including Canada and Israel) stand as leaders in turning research into entrepreneurial commercial ventures. Each have their own cultural elements that create a business. Waterloo and Technion are among the leading entrepreneurial and innovative institutions in the world.
The exchange program enables select students from Canadian and Israeli Universities to study and travel for 18 days, during which the focus will be on cultural exchange and experiential learning. The course will be delivered in partnership with the Technion – Israel Institute of Technology. Students from both universities will reside and travel as one cohort throughout the duration of the program. The course will commence at the University of Waterloo, Canada (approximately 6 days), and end at Technion, Israel (the remaining 14 days). The focus of the course is on technological scientific innovation and entrepreneurship from a global perspective. This course creates a unique opportunity for collision of innovative and entrepreneurial ideas among students from both institutions.
In Canada, students will attend a lecture on Israeli history and the current political and social climate.
In Israel, students will visit the following locations: THE HESEG, Dead Sea, Yad Vashem, major tourists attractions and cultural sites in Jerusalem (including Old City of Jerusalem), Haifa, Akko, Nazareth, Safed, Tiberias, and Galilee.
At the end of this course, you will be able to
- Conceptualize innovative ideas
- Transform innovative ideas to commercially viable products
- Develop entrepreneurial plans for new technologies
- Discuss variety of approaches to entrepreneurship based on several global settings
- Students must have completed 1B term in a Faculty of Science program (University of Waterloo)
- There are 24 spots available each year (18 Waterloo and 6 Technion students).
- This course is intended for students with limited direct experience with Israel in order to promote cultural exchange.
- Students must be in satisfactory academic standing and receive departmental consent.
Lecturer, Science and Business
Co-Instructor from Technion
Faculty of IE&M at Technion - Israel Institute of Technology
- Personal reflection A (individual)- 10%
- Personal reflection B (individual)- 10%
- Class participation (individual)- 10%
- Start-up simulation -10%
- Written report (group)- 35%
- Oral presentation (group)- 25%
Students will need 50% to pass the course.
Application process - CANCELLED
The course would normally take place from August 17 to September 5, 2020, but has been cancelled for the 2020 season due to COVID-19. The course starts in Waterloo (~6 days) and finishes in Israel (~14 days).
Students will have to complete the following before they are allowed to go:
Register by completing the SCI 230 Application Form.
Pay the course fee.
Participate in Waterloo Federation of Students (FEDS) Health and Dental Plan, or provide proof of alternate equivalent health insurance coverage for the duration of the program.
Ensure the appropriate travel requirements are met (ie. securing a visa). University of Waterloo has no influence on Israeli immigration policy and cannot guarantee that all students that are interested in the exchange program will be allowed to enter Israel.
The price includes:
- Some meals (may be up to 50%)
- All accommodation outside Waterloo, ON
- All travel expenses outside Waterloo, ON
Students are recommended to bring approximately $300CAD for additional expenses.
Note: This cost is in addition to auxiliary fee.
- Accommodation outside of Waterloo, ON is in hotels and other campus student/guest lodging. The intent is that accommodation will be shared space (i.e. two students per room).
Packing - Students will be granted one checked and one hand luggage. Students should bring comfortable clothes and footwear; note that it is very hot during this time of the year in Israel.
A laptop is required for the course. A list of required reading resources will be provided to registered students.