Hira joined University of Waterloo in 2012 and teaches User Experience Design for the Global Business and Digital Arts program. Her area of interests includes digital memory, online communities, ephemeral messaging, gamification, and user experience research.
Hira also works in the Digital Operations department at the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC), as a Usability Specialist. She conducts user experience (UX) research to inform product development decisions from idea conception to post-launch analysis. Her work involves various investigative methodologies such as usability testing, heuristic evaluation, ethnographic research and competitive reviews. She acts as an in-house usability consultant for CBC TV, CBC Music, CBC Sports and CBC Radio. Hira also contributes to the production of an internal bi-weekly digest, which highlights emerging trends in the digital industry, and their relevance to the CBC.
Hira is one of the graduates from the inaugural class of Masters of Digital Experience Innovation program offered at University of Waterloo Stratford. She is excited to see the campus grow and feels fortunate to have been part of the journey.
- GBDA 103 - User Experience Design, Fall 2014
- Master of Digital Experience Innovation, University of Waterloo, 2012
- Honours Bachelor of Business Administration, Wilfrid Laurier University, 2010
Research and teaching interests
- Digital memory and cultures
- Ephemeral messaging
- User experience research
- Javed, Hira. "How Generation Y Is Energising the 'Muslim' Brand through Novelty T-shirts." International Journal of Social Entrepreneurship and Innovation 2.1 (2013): 33. Print.
Presentations and Exhibitions
- UX Research in an Agile World - Full Stack Toronto Conference, November 2014
- Guest Lecture: User Experience Design -
- University of Toronto Cognitive Computing Course in Collaboration with IBM Watson Project, October 2014
- UX of Ephemeral Messaging - UXD Toronto Meetup, July 2014
- Facebook Timelines: Episodic Memory Creation, Recall and Modification in the Digital Age - 1st Symposium on Creating Characters, Inventing Lives: The Art of Self, May 2014
- Privacy Policies and Digital Identities: The Importance of Anonymity for Female Muslim Bloggers - Canadian Federation of University Women, September 2012
- How Muslim Women are Using Digital Media to Communicate, Connect and Empower Themselves - Optimism Place – International Women’s Day, March 2012
Awards and honours
- True Blue Award - PepsiCo Beverages Canada, 2012
- Student Leader of the Year - WLU School of Business and Economics, 2008
- Event Management Award - Service Canada, 2008
- Take Action Award - Service Canada, 2007
- User Experience Professionals Association