The Stratford School of Interaction Design and Business Audio Lab is a professional-quality recording studio designed for the exploration of sound in its digital form, especially as it relates to commercialization, gamification, and the design of forward thinking user experience.
The Audio Lab is outfitted with an array of high quality hardware and industry standard software, and is especially well suited to recording projects such as voice overs, as well as sound design and soundtrack composition.
It harnesses the power of digital equipment, centered around a Mac system and a Universal Audio Apollo recording interface with a quad-core built-in processor. In addition, the Audio Lab boasts several pieces of high quality analogue equipment to offer the highest quality possible and to give students an opportunity to work with equipment that they may find in professional studios later in their careers.
The design of the studio is such that an experienced veteran can work easily, or a first time student can find his or her way through it easily.
For your first visit to the Audio Lab, you must watch and complete the 5-part tutorial.
- Apple Cinema Display (Secondary Display)
- Universal Audio Apollo Quad
- Universal Audio LA-610 MkII
- Presonus Central Station
- Presonus HP60 Headphone Amplifier
- Furman M-8LX Power Conditioner
- Presonus BlueTUBE DP V2 Pre-Amp
- DBX PB-48 Patch Bay
- Ableton Push
- Presonus FaderPort
- M-Audio Axiom 25 MIDI Keyboard
- Shure SM-58 Unidirectional Dynamic Mic
- Shure SM-57 Unidirectional Dynamic Mic
- Shure SM-78 Large Diaphragm Cardioid Dynamic Mic
- AKG C1000S Cardioid/Hypercardioid Condenser Mic
- AKG C2000B Large Diaghragm Condenser Mic
- Neumann U-87 AI Studio Mic
- KRK Rokkit 8" Studio Monitors
- Quicklok BS-336 Studio Monitor Stands
- Yorkville Studio Workstation Desk
- TRS Multi-coloured Patch Cables
- Monoprice Studio Cables
- Headphone Amplifiers (small) x 20
- K+M Mic Stands x 5
- sE Electronics Instrument Reflexion Filter
- Sennheiser HD380 Pro Studio Monitoring Headphones x 3
- Yorkville Deluxe Universal Guitar Stand
- Monoprice Classic Guitar Stand
- Yorkville Heavy Duty Collapsible Music Stand with Bag x 2
- Ableton Live 8 Suite
- Cycling '74 Max
- Apple Logic X
- Avid Pro Tools 10
- Adobe Creative Suite 6
- Native Instruments Komplete 9 Ultimate
- Roland RE-201 Space Echo Tape Delay Plugin
- Roland CE-1 Chorus Ensemble Plugin
- Sonnox Oxford Inflator Plugin
- Brainworx BX_Tuner Plugin
The Audio Lab must be reserved and you must be a current MDEI or GBDA student in good standing in order to use it. Please use WebCheckout to reserve time (at a maximum of 2 hours at a time).
University of Waterloo Stratford School Campus, Room 2037.
Policies and forms
If you have any questions about using the Audio Lab, please contact Greg McIntyre.