The Student Awards & Financial Aid Office (SAFA) manages hundreds of undergraduate awards for students newly admitted to first-year studies and for students currently enrolled in an undergraduate program at the University of Waterloo.
Our office is responsible for advertising award opportunities, collecting applications, and coordinating with Faculties and/or award committees to complete the selection process. We work closely with departments across campus to ensure they have the information they need to select recipients for a variety of achievement awards. We are responsible for processing all undergraduate award payments and for communicating with recipients.
The term "award" is a general designation applied to any scholarship, prize, medal, fellowship, or grant of money assigned to a student. Within this designation, awards are further defined as follows:
- Scholarships are based primarily on outstanding academic merit (80% or greater) or excellence in a specific subject or group of subjects.
- Bursaries are based primarily on financial need.
- Awards are based on a combination of criteria such as academic performance, leadership or involvement in extracurricular activities or student affairs at the university or in the community, work-related experience, athletic achievement or participation, or work-term performance, and may include a financial need component.
Awards for undergraduate students
- Entrance Scholarships: If you are a newly admitted or future undergraduate students, please visit the entrance scholarship details on the Find Out More website.
- Current undergraduate students: Many awards are selected automatically based on year-end academic achievement or on marks in a particular course or subject area. Other awards require an application form/package from interested students. Check out the many award application opportunities detailed in our Undergraduate Awards Database.
- External awards: Many awards are offered by outside agencies, organizations and foundations. External award information that is sent to our office can be found on our External Awards page.
Awards that require an application are listed listed in our Undergraduate Awards Database, but these are only a portion of the many scholarships, awards and bursaries that we are able to provide to deserving students each year. We gratefully acknowledge the dedicated donors that have made these funds possible.
To view a full description of all awards, including those that do not require an application, as well as general regulations governing undergraduate awards, please consult the Awards and Financial Aid pages of the University of Waterloo Undergraduate Calendar.
Federated University College Students
In general, students enrolled with a federated university college are eligible to apply for most of the awards managed by the Student Awards & Financial Aid office, unless otherwise indicated. In addition, students should consult their respective schools to find out about awards offered exclusively by them.
Please visit the following links:
Establishing undergraduate awards
The University of Waterloo is committed to attracting and rewarding talented undergraduate students and to ensuring that all qualified students have access to the best university education possible. Our generous donors are essential to achieving this goal. The Office of Advancement works with donors to establish scholarships, awards and bursaries to help recognize and support outstanding and deserving undergraduate students. For additional information please visit the Office of Advancement web page.