The Student Awards & Financial Aid Office (SAFA) manages hundreds of undergraduate awards for students newly admitted to first-year studies and for students currently enrolled in an undergraduate program at the University of Waterloo.
Our office is responsible for advertising award opportunities, collecting applications, and coordinating with Faculties and/or award committees to complete the selection process. We work closely with departments across campus to ensure they have the information they need to select recipients for a variety of achievement awards. We are responsible for processing all undergraduate award payments and for communicating with recipients.
The term "award" is a general designation applied to any scholarship, prize, medal, fellowship, or grant of money assigned to a student. Within this designation, awards are further defined as follows:
- Scholarships are based primarily on outstanding academic merit (80% or greater) or excellence in a specific subject or group of subjects.
- Bursaries are based primarily on financial need.
- Awards are based on a combination of criteria such as academic performance, leadership or involvement in extracurricular activities or student affairs at the university or in the community, work-related experience, athletic achievement or participation, or work-term performance, and may include a financial need component.
Awards for undergraduate students
- Newly admitted or future students: search our entrance awards database to find scholarships, bursaries and other awards at Waterloo.
- Current undergraduate students: search our undergraduate awards database to find scholarships, bursaries and other awards at Waterloo.
- External awards: Many awards are offered by outside agencies, organizations and foundations. External award information that is sent to our office can be found on our External Awards page.
Federated University College Students
In general, students enrolled with a federated university college are eligible to apply for most of the awards managed by the Student Awards & Financial Aid office, unless otherwise indicated. In addition, students should consult their respective schools to find out about awards offered exclusively by them.
Please visit the following links:
Establishing undergraduate awards
The University of Waterloo is committed to attracting and rewarding talented undergraduate students and to ensuring that all qualified students have access to the best university education possible. Our generous donors are essential to achieving this goal. The Office of Advancement works with donors to establish scholarships, awards and bursaries to help recognize and support outstanding and deserving undergraduate students. For additional information please visit the Office of Advancement web page.