Research interests: nanostructured metallic biomaterials; phase transformations and surface modifications
Professor Shahrzad Esmaeili obtained her PhD degree in Materials Engineering from the University of British Columbia in 2002. She then worked for two years at Alcan International as a Researcher and a holder of a Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) industrial fellowship. She joined the University of Waterloo in 2004 and is now a Professor at the Mechanical and Mechtronics Engineering departments. She is a recipient of an Early Researcher Award from Ontario Ministry of Research and Innovation.
She has established expertise in microstructural transformations involving nano-precipitates in aluminum and magnesium alloys. Her research activities encompass experimental and modeling investigations in fundamentals of transformations and atomic-to-macro scale processing-structure-property relationships.
- PhD, University of British Columbia
- MS, Shiraz University
- BS, Shiraz University
Professor Esmaeili conducts research in processing, characterization and modeling microstructural transformations involving nano-precipitates in aluminum and magnesium alloys. Her current research in this area involves the interactions between precipitation and recrystallization in monolithic and laminated aluminum alloys and atomic-scale solute clustering in aluminum and magnesium alloys. Her research activities also include design, processing, characterization and processing-structure-property relationships of emerging multi-functional, hybrid and porous materials, as well as advanced multi-length scale surface modification.
- Advanced light alloys: innovative processing, nanostructure-controlled transformations and properties, modeling processing-structure-property relationships
- Biomaterials: emerging metallic and hybrid-cellular materials and nanostructured surfaces
Recent publications include:
- K. Omer, A. Abolhasani, S. Kim, T. Nikdejad, C. Butcher, M.A. Wells, S. Esmaeili, M. Worswick, “Process Parameters for Hot Stamping of AA7075 and D-7xxx to Achieve High Performance Aged Products”, Journal of Materials Processing 257 (2018)170-179. M. Di Ciano, S. DiCecco, S. Esmaeili, M.A. Wells, M.J. Worswick, “Coarsening of AA6013-T6 Precipitates During Sheet Warm Forming Applications” Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance 27 (2018)939-947.
- O Jay, E Toyserkani, P Donnadieu, J-J Blandin, and S Esmaeili, “Selective laser-assisted deposition of silver nanoparticles on a Mg-2wt.%Ca substrate” Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics 51 (2018) 315401
- P. Sepehrband, X. Wang, H. Jin, S. Esmaeili, “Interactive microstructural phenomena during non-isothermal annealing of an Al-Mg-Si-Cu alloy, Materials Characterization 137 (2018)212-221.
- I. Sadeghi, M.A. Wells, S. Esmaeili, “Effect of particle shape and size distribution on the dissolution behavior ofAl2Cu particles during homogenization in aluminum casting alloy Al-Si-Cu-Mg”, Journal of Materials Processing Technology 25 (2018)232-240.
- I. Sadeghi, M.A. Wells, S. Esmaeili, “Modeling homogenization behavior of Al-Si-Cu-Mg aluminum alloy”, Materials and Design 128 (2017) 241-249.
- B. Langelier, G. Sha, A. Korinek, P. Donnadieu, S.P Ringer, S. Esmaeili, “ The effects of microalloying on the precipitate microstructure at grain boundary regions in an Mg-Zn-based alloy”, Materials and Design 119 (2017) 290-296.
- B. Langelier, A. Korinek, P. Donnadieu, S. Esmaeili, “Improving precipitation hardening behavior of Mg-Zn based alloys with Ce-Ca microalloying additions”, Materials Characterization, 120 (2016) 18-29.
- V. Fallah, B. Langelier, N. Ofori-Opoku, B. Raeisinia, N. Provatas, S. Esmaeili, “Cluster evolution mechanisms during aging in Al-Mg-Si alloys”, Acta Materialia 103 (2016) 290-300.
- A. Basalah, S. Esmaeili, E. Toyserkani, “On the influence of sintering protocols and layer thickness on the physical and mechanical properties of additive manufactured titanium porous bio-structures”, Journal of Materials Processing Technology 238 (2016) 341-351.
- A. Basalah, S. Esmaeili, E. Toyserkani,” On the influence of sintering protocols and layer thickness on the physical and mechanical properties of additive manufactured titanium porous bio-structures”, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 238 (2016) 341-351.
- L. Liu, G. Zou, H. Mori, S. Esmaeili, Y.N. Zhou “Nanostructure of immiscible Mg-Fe dissimilar weld without interfacial intermetallic transition layer”, Materials and Design, 92 (2016) 445-449.
- S.T. Niknejad, S. Esmaeili, N.Y. Zhou, “The Role of double twinning on transgranular fracture in magnesium AZ61 in a localized stress field”, Acta Materialia 102 (2016) 1-16.
- A. Basalah, S. Esmaeili, E. Toyserkani, "Mechanical Properties of Additive Manufactured Porous Titanium Bio-Structures with Oriented Macro-Scale Channels", International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Springer, 2015, DOI 10.1007/s00170-015-7849-9.
- A. Basalah, S. Esmaeili, E. Toyserkani, “A novel additive manufacturing-based technique for developing bio-structures with conformal and encapsulated channels", Biomedical Physics & Engineering Express 1 (2015) 045007.
- P. Sepehrband, X. Wang, H. Jin, S. Esmaeili, “Microstructural evolution during non-isothermal annealing of a precipitation-hardenable aluminum alloy: Experiment and simulation”, Acta Materialia 94 (2015) 111-123.
- B. Langelier, S. Esmaeili, “Effects of Ce additions on the age hardening response of Mg-Zn alloys”, Materials Characterization 101 (2015) 1-8.
- B. Langelier, A.M. Nasiri, S.Y. Lee, M.A. Gharghouri, S. Esmaeili, “Improving microstructure and ductility in the Mg-Zn alloy system by combinational Ce-Ca microalloying”, Materials Science and Engineering A 620 (2015) 76-84.
- V. Fallah, A. Korinek, N. Ofori-Opoku, N. Provatas, S. Esmaeili, Addendum to “Atomistic investigation of clustering phenomenon in the Al-Cu system: three-dimensional Phase Field Crystal simulation and HRTEM-HRSTEM characterization”, Acta Materialia 83 (2015) 470-472.
- V. Fallah, A. Korinek, N. Ofori-Opoku, B. Raeisinia, M. Gallerneault, N. Provatas, S. Esmaeili, “Atomic-scale pathway of early-stage precipitation in Al-Mg-Si alloys”, Acta Materialia 82 (2015) 457-467.
- L.H. Liao, H. Jin, M. Gallerneault, S. Esmaeili, “Through-thickness recrystallization characteristics of a laminated AA3xxx–AA6xxx aluminum alloy system”, Materials Characterization 101 (2015) 71-77.
Please see Shahrzad Esmaeili's Google Scholar profile for a current list of her peer-reviewed articles.
Office: E5 3016
Phone: 519-888-4567, ext.37536