What is happening? As part of the Office 365 employee email investigation recommendation, retiree on-premises Exchange (Connect) email accounts will be moved to Office 365. This work does not affect email accounts on Mailservices.
When is this happening? Wednesday, June 9 between 9:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
What should retirees expect?
- O365 email provides a secure, reliable, user-friendly email experience.
- Retirees will receive email communication about this work approximately two weeks before the migration date, and a reminder two days before. A copy of this message is below.
- Communications will outline the post-migration steps and link to necessary support resources.
- If not yet enrolled, retirees will need to enrol in the University’s two-factor authentication (2FA) service powered by Duo Security to gain access to their O365 mailbox.
- Retirees will be instructed to contact the IST Service Desk for support but may reach out to the Retiree Association to confirm the legitimacy of the email and seek support. Such requests can be redirected to the IST Service Desk.
How can the Retiree Association support this work? Your assistance in promoting the upcoming work via internal communication channels, such as the Retiree Association website and newsletter, would be greatly appreciated.
Questions or concerns? Please contact Natasha Jennings, email@example.com.
EMAIL MESSAGE TO RETIREES – Will be sent May 26 with reminder on June 7
Subject: Retiree email moving to Office 365 Cloud environment – June 9
You are receiving this message because your University of Waterloo mailbox is being moved from Connect (on premises) to Office 365 (in the Cloud).
What is happening? This mailbox will be migrated to Office 365 as part of the Office 365 employee email investigation recommendation, which will provide you with a secure, reliable, user-friendly email experience.
When is this happening? Wednesday, June 9, 2021, between 9:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
- The migration of each Retiree mailbox will take approximately 5-10 minutes during the outlined migration window.
- The mailbox can continue to be used during the migration window.
- A notification will not be sent when the mailbox has been migrated, however, you may notice it is no longer receiving messages to the inbox. You may begin the post-migration steps at this time or wait until the end of the migration window.
Action required: Post-migration steps
- If you have not yet done so, you must enrol in the University’s two-factor authentication (2FA) service powered by Duo Security to gain access to your O365 email account.
- 2FA adds an extra layer of security to your email account.
- Please see the Duo two-factor authentication for retirees support article.
- Outlook 2019/365 users should close and restart the Outlook mail client.
- Other mail clients should follow the steps outlined in the post-migration knowledge base article.
Other reconfiguration steps may also need to be completed
- IMAP users will require an email client that supports the OAuth 2.0 protocol (e.g., a web browser, newest versions of Outlook for Windows or Mac, and Thunderbird) as Basic Authentication will be unavailable.
- A reminder that email (on-premises or in the cloud) should not be used to share or store highly restricted data.
Questions or concerns? Please contact the IST Service Desk, firstname.lastname@example.org, or 519-888-4567 ext. 44357.