Welcome to Retirees Association
Welcome to the website of the University of Waterloo Retirees Association (UWRA). The UWRA represents the University of Waterloo retirees (both faculty and staff) and helps them enjoy their years of retirement.
The association consists of volunteer board members who represent retiree concerns on Pension and Benefits matters, Human Resources issues and UWaterloo policy changes. A complete description of the roles of the individual board members can be found at the UWRA board of directors home page.
There are many activities in the region that you can partake in. Some events of the new tour schedule are finalized while others are in the planning stages and can be found under the "Socials and tours" header.
To keep informed of daily activities on campus, check out the University of Waterloo daily bulletin.
Click on the NEWS and/or EVENTS box below to keep informed of the latest news and events that pertain to you, the University of Waterloo retirees.
- Nov. 18, 2020Disabling of some recent retiree email accounts
Some recent retirees may have had their email accounts inadvertently disabled. IST is re-activating those as we are made aware of them, and putting in place a fix to prevent this from recurring. No email is lost when this happens, but the account is locked out until IST manually unlocks it.
This affected employees who recently moved to Office 365 email, as part of our campus email project, and then retired. It should not affect those who were already retired, or who did not move to Office 365 email. It should not affect recent retirees who are also UW alumni.
The issue was caused by automated account deprovisioning that detected a person no longer in the Workday HR system after their retirement, and if they were also no longer in the alumni database, the system removed their Office 365 email license as our system did not check retiree status. IST is working on fixing this as quickly as possible.
Please contact IST to have this resolved
Phone: 519-888-4567, ext. 44357
Live chat: Click to start a new live chat session
- May 21, 2021Reitrees Email moving from Exchange to Office 3605
What is happening? As part of the Office 365 employee email investigation recommendation, retiree on-premises Exchange (Connect) email accounts will be moved to Office 365. This work does not affect email accounts on Mailservices.
When is this happening? Wednesday, June 9 between 9:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
What should retirees expect?
- O365 email provides a secure, reliable, user-friendly email experience.
- Retirees will receive email communication about this work approximately two weeks before the migration date, and a reminder two days before. A copy of this message is below.
- Communications will outline the post-migration steps and link to necessary support resources.
- If not yet enrolled, retirees will need to enrol in the University’s two-factor authentication (2FA) service powered by Duo Security to gain access to their O365 mailbox.
- Retirees will be instructed to contact the IST Service Desk for support but may reach out to the Retiree Association to confirm the legitimacy of the email and seek support. Such requests can be redirected to the IST Service Desk.
How can the Retiree Association support this work? Your assistance in promoting the upcoming work via internal communication channels, such as the Retiree Association website and newsletter, would be greatly appreciated.
- Duo two-factor authentication (2FA) for retirees
- Post-migration steps and support article
- Migrating employee email to Office 365 project page
Questions or concerns? Please contact Natasha Jennings, email@example.com.
EMAIL MESSAGE TO RETIREES – Will be sent May 26 with reminder on June 7
Subject: Retiree email moving to Office 365 Cloud environment – June 9
You are receiving this message because your University of Waterloo mailbox is being moved from Connect (on premises) to Office 365 (in the Cloud).
What is happening? This mailbox will be migrated to Office 365 as part of the Office 365 employee email investigation recommendation, which will provide you with a secure, reliable, user-friendly email experience.
When is this happening? Wednesday, June 9, 2021, between 9:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
- The migration of each Retiree mailbox will take approximately 5-10 minutes during the outlined migration window.
- The mailbox can continue to be used during the migration window.
- A notification will not be sent when the mailbox has been migrated, however, you may notice it is no longer receiving messages to the inbox. You may begin the post-migration steps at this time or wait until the end of the migration window.
Action required: Post-migration steps
- If you have not yet done so, you must enrol in the University’s two-factor authentication (2FA) service powered by Duo Security to gain access to your O365 email account.
- 2FA adds an extra layer of security to your email account.
- Please see the Duo two-factor authentication for retirees support article.
- Outlook 2019/365 users should close and restart the Outlook mail client.
- Other mail clients should follow the steps outlined in the post-migration knowledge base article.
Other reconfiguration steps may also need to be completed
- Next, after logging in, you may find you need to recreate your email signature, re-add calendars, and reconfigure your mailbox favourites.
- Finally, explore the new features available in Office 365, including Focused inbox.
- IMAP users will require an email client that supports the OAuth 2.0 protocol (e.g., a web browser, newest versions of Outlook for Windows or Mac, and Thunderbird) as Basic Authentication will be unavailable.
- A reminder that email (on-premises or in the cloud) should not be used to share or store highly restricted data.
Questions or concerns? Please contact the IST Service Desk, firstname.lastname@example.org, or 519-888-4567 ext. 44357.
- Aug. 5, 2020UWRA Memorandum of Agreement with the University of Waterloo
On July 13, 2020 the UWRA president Lynn Judge and UW President Feridun Hamdullahpur signed a memorandum of agreement that outlines the official relation ship between the UWRA and the University of Waterloo, making the UWRA the official voice of University of Waterloo retirees
UWRA Memorandum of Agreement with the University of Waterloo(PDF) is avalible for download.
- Apr. 24, 2023UWRA Spring Banquet (Click to Expand)
The University of Waterloo Retirees’ Association will host a spring banquet on April 24, 2023 at FED Hall at the University of Waterloo. Doors open at 11:30. Lunch is at 12:00. Speaker is at 12:45.
There will be a catered lunch. Preregistration is necessary and will start on March 1, 2023. An email will be sent to all UWRA members on or about March 1, 2023 with registration information.