PhD, Western Ontario
MA, Western Ontario
I grew up on the East Coast, in Nova Scotia’s Annapolis Valley. Later I moved to Newfoundland, where I completed my bachelor’s degree in English, and then to Ontario. I teach a variety of undergraduate and graduate courses. I research nineteenth- and early twentieth-century Canadian writing. I chair the English Department.
With Randy Harris, and Murray McArthur, ed. Literature, Rhetoric, and Values: Selected Proceedings of the University of Waterloo Conference. Stoke-on-Trent: Cambridge Scholars P, 2012.
“Early Canadian Queer Literature, or In and Out of the Fur-Lined Closet: Susan Frances Harrison’s The Forest of Bourg-Marie.” Studies in Canadian Literature 42.1 (2017): 31-49.
“My Letter of Confession: Sara Jeannette Duncan’s Late Imperial Rhetoric and Risk-Taking.” University of Toronto Quarterly 84.1 (Winter 2015): 1-18.
“Afterword.” The Traditional History and Characteristic Sketches of the Ojibway Nation. By George Copway/Kah-ge-ga-gah-bowh. 1850. Early Canadian Literature Series. Waterloo, Ont.: Wilfrid Laurier UP, 2014. 191-207.
“Yours to Recover: Mound Burial in Alice Munro’s ‘What Do You Want to Know For?’” Canadian Literature and Cultural Memory. Ed. Cynthia Sugars and Eleanor Ty. Oxford: Oxford UP, 2014. 260-73.
“Counter Revolutions: Susan Frances Harrison’s Textual Recycling.” Canadian Poetry: Studies, Documents, Reviews 71 (Fall/Winter 2012): 52-67.
Grants, fellowships and awards
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council Insight Development Grant 2018-20
- Shastri International Collaborative Research Grant 2017-19
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council Aid to Research Workshops and Conferences in Canada Grant 2011
- UWaterloo/Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) Seed Grant 2012
- UWaterloo/SSHRC Travel Grant 2010
- Rhetoric of food scarcity in late colonial writing, Canada and India
- Early queer Canadian literatures
- Nineteenth- and early twentieth-century representations of nostalgia
Areas of graduate supervision
- Canadian literature