Frequently Asked Questions

If you find that your questions were not answered here in any of the links provided please contact the Graduate Coordinator.

General Questions

Academic Dates and Deadlines

When does the term start and end?

As an International student, how do I go about obtaining official documents, such as a driver's license or a SIN?

How should I go about obtaining the uWaterloo student card?

How do I set up my email account?

How do I get a parking spot/pass?

Health Plan

How do I obtain an official document that proves I am currently enrolled as a student at the University of Waterloo?

Where can I find information about MLA citation style?

I'm trying to put my thesis forward as a publication across a couple of different avenues, and just wanted to know if there's anything I need to be wary of when moving forward with this kind of thing.

Course Related 

How do I enroll in courses through Quest?

How do I enroll in an undergraduate course?

How do I enroll in a course offered by another department?

How do I enroll in a course offered at another institution?

Are students allowed to take two courses with the same number?

How do I change my stream/program?

What is a reading course?

How many graduate classes must be taken in each semester to be considered full-time?

How do I obtain a program completion letter?

Fees and Funding

How are tuition fees calculated?
What are my tuition fees for the term?
Do MA transitional and qualifying students pay graduate tuition fees?
How will I receive my funding?
How do I pay my tuition fees?  How do I become "Fees Arranged"?
Will my tuition fees be automatically removed from my funding? 
How do I change my fees to reflect that I will be going on co-op?
How do I obtain my ​T4 information?

Graduating and Convocation 

Where can I find information about convocation?
Will I receive confirmation once my Intent to Graduate form has been processed?
I have submitted my Intent to Graduate form. Why do I have fees showing up for the next term?
I am supposed to graduate in October but I was wondering if I am able to push the convocation time back to the spring? 
Can I obtain my diploma now instead of waiting until the next convocation ceremony? 

Admissions Questions