Our unique undergraduate program features our faculty members’ strengths in the study of literature, rhetoric and communication design, and digital media. This page explains the degree options available to you, whether you are interested in an English major, an English minor, or a diploma in creative writing.
Honours English students can also complete their degree in co-op mode with alternating study and work terms. You can take your honours English degree as part of an Honours Arts and Business degree, and we also offer joint honours degrees in each field.
For general information on the English program, see Considering UWaterloo English?
You can pursue any of the following majors via a four-year honours degree, a four-year general degree, or a three-year general degree. Click on any of the majors below for more information.
Study rhetoric, professional writing and information design, and digital media. Pursue your interests in advertising, technical writing, document design, and digital media.
Combine the dual strengths of our department, and pursue your interests in both literature and rhetoric.
English majors can take the following specializations to add additional qualifications to their degrees. These specializations are pursued in conjunction with a major:
- Communication Design will prepare you to effectively design print and digital documents for a variety of purposes.
- Creative Writing will give you the opportunity to practice writing in a variety of creative genres, from fiction and poetry to news stories and creative non-fiction.
- Digital Media Studies will allow you to analyze and create a broad variety of digital media and content.
- Global Literatures will broaden your perspective on literature by allowing you to study works from a variety of nations and cultures.
- Technical Writing will give you the tools to write and design technical documents.
If you're enrolled in a degree plan in another discipline, you can pursue one of our English minors:
- The English minor will give you a grounding in some of the essential areas of the discipline of English literature.
- The Technical Writing minor will allow you study how innovative companies and organizations communicate with one another and with the public. Your courses in this minor can include such topics as Information Design, Editing, Designing Digital Images and Hypertext, Grant Writing, and the Rhetoric of Advertising.
Diploma in Creative Writing
The Diploma in Creative Writing allows students registered in degree programs or people in non- or post-degree academic plans to practice writing in a variety of creative genres, from fiction and poetry to news stories and creative non-fiction.