Student earnings data:
- Hourly earnings information
- Earnings information for Chartered Professional Accounting
- Federal Public Service rates of pay for university students
The University encourages employers to pay co-op students at least minimum wage for the work location. Please contact your account manager with any specific inquiries you have around co-op student wages.
For U.S. salary guidance, contact your account manager.
Vacation, statutory holiday, and overtime pay
- Ontario employers are not required to give co-op students vacation pay, statutory holiday pay, or overtime pay (Ontario Employment Standards Act). However, most include compensation for these as part of the student’s salary.
- Students should receive time off on statutory holidays if they’re employed by an industry under federal jurisdiction like banks, airlines, railways, and television stations (Canada Labour Code).
- Your student may ask to take off a few days during the work term. You’re free to negotiate it with them, though you‘re not required to provide vacation days.
Unpaid and volunteer work terms
- Students must obtain some substantive remuneration for their co-op work
- Rare or unusual circumstances may allow for the approval of an unpaid co-op job for credit.
Workplace Safety & Insurance Board coverage
- Most Ontario employers must include co-op students (paid and unpaid) in their WSIB coverage.
- Have an approved unpaid co-op student? Contact our University Relations Administrator, to notify us of volunteer co-op work so that your student can be WSIB covered.