Join over 7,100 organizations that fuel their businesses with Waterloo co-op students. With six faculties and over 120 programs, you can choose from our diverse undergraduate and graduate students.
Suggested work term dates: January 4 - April 23, 2021
Recruitment updates due to COVID-19
1) New, flexible hiring process for the Winter 2021 work term
For some time now, we’ve heard feedback from our employers that shorter recruitment cycles would help with your planning, so you don’t need to wait as long to find out who you’ve been matched with.
Now, the COVID-19 pandemic has given us the opportunity to pilot this suggestion by implementing a new hiring process that maximizes your amount of choice, flexibility and convenience while still being just as effective at connecting you with top student talent.
At a high-level, here’s what hiring for the Winter 2021 work term will look like:
- Choose from six different employment cycles to suit your schedule. Instead of our “first” and “continuous” interview cycles, there will now be more cycles to make the hiring process faster, with the first match happening in October.
- Interviews will be conducted remotely to maximize flexibility for employers and students who may not be located near Waterloo or who may not be comfortable attending interviews in-person.
- Over 8,000 of the best and brightest students from 120+ programs will be available to hire throughout the term.
So whenever you’re ready to hire, get in touch with your Account Manager and we’ll help you find an awesome candidate to fill your role!
For a full list of recruiting dates for the Winter 2021 work term, check out the chart below:
|Submit job posting by||Remote interview period||Submit rankings by (all times in ET)||Match results available by end of day (ET)|
|Cycle 1||Submit now until Sept. 16
Applications available: Sept. 22
|Sept. 25 – Oct. 7||Oct. 8 at 9:00 a.m.*||Oct. 9|
|Reading week – no interviews (October 10-18)|
|Cycle 2||Submit Sept 17 – Oct 14
Applications available: Oct. 20
|Oct. 23 – Nov 4||Nov. 5 at 9:00 a.m.*||Nov. 6|
|Cycle 3||Submit any time between Oct. 14 and Dec. 1 (depending on when you want to interview)
Applications available: 2 days after your job is posted, beginning Nov. 11 until Dec. 4
|Nov. 17 – Nov. 19||Nov. 19 at 8:00 p.m.*||Nov. 20|
|Cycle 4||Nov. 24 – Nov. 26||Nov. 26 at 8:00 p.m.*||Nov. 27|
|Cycle 5||Dec. 1 – Dec. 3||Dec. 3 at 8:00 p.m.*||Dec. 4|
|Cycle 6||Dec. 8 – Dec. 10||Dec. 10 at 8:00 p.m.*||Dec. 11|
|Direct offers||Following the last match on December 11, you can continue hiring by making offers directly to students until February 2021 (exact date TBD) for the Winter 2021 work term!|
*Please note: Rankings submitted late will automatically be included in the next cycle’s match.
For more information on how we’ve made it easier to hire in light of COVID-19
(including how to hire and fund your student), visit our “co-op work term updates” webpage.
2) Travel for Fall 2020 and Winter 2021 work terms
To limit the spread of COVID-19, the Government of Canada is currently advising against all non-essential travel outside of Canada until further notice. In alignment with this advisory, Waterloo has currently suspended all University-related travel outside of Canada, including co-op work terms.
This decision follows direction from the University’s travel policy, the Faculties and our existing travel policy for international work terms. We recognize that this may change as the situation evolves, but for now we continue to monitor current travel advisories and base our decisions around what is known and supported by our University and government administrations. Of course, we will be in touch with employers and students if anything changes.
This means that:
- Fall 2020 (September – December) work terms: We cannot currently approve Fall 2020 work terms that require students to actively travel to locations outside of Canada (some exceptions may apply for international students who have returned to their home locations or students who left Canada before June 1, 2020).
- Winter 2021 (January – April) work terms: We anticipate a similar scenario for Winter 2021 work terms and will be in touch with employers and students if anything changes.
In the meantime, work terms with employers or students based outside Canada may still be able to take place in-person or remotely if our travel guidelines for employers and students are followed.
There are still many ways you can hire student interns from the University of Waterloo despite travel restrictions due to COVID19.
3) Remote work terms
Though students must complete their work terms from within Canada, you can still hire a co-op student to join your team remotely via the PEO or Independent Contractor routes!
Be sure to specify this in your job description, clarify/confirm details yourself during your interviews and consider any legal/logistical implications that remote work may have for you and the student(s) you hire. Depending on where you and your student(s) are located, different jurisdictional requirements may apply (learn more).
We cannot consult or advise on this matter. You should seek your own independent advice about, but not limited to:
4) All interviews will be held remotely
To protect our students and employers and limit the spread of COVID-19, all interviews will take place remotely until further notice. While you can certainly reach your applicants directly for interviews, please select interview dates in WaterlooWorks so that students can plan their entire recruitment cycle well.
Reach out to your account manager if you have any questions about this process.
5) Resource for supporting co-op students remotely
Wondering how to manage co-op students working remotely? We've connected with co-op employers and students to collect best practices to help transition your co-op students to work from home.
6) Questions or need to chat?
If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are here to support you! We can provide support during our business hours between 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (ET).
Posting your remote in-Canada job on WaterlooWorks
WaterlooWorks is the University of Waterloo's employment administration system. A few things to note:
- Your login ID is the email address to which this message was sent. For help resetting your password or posting a job, visit our website.
- To recruit a co-op student for the Winter 2021 work term, select 'Post a Job' and 'Hire Waterloo Co-op' from your dashboard.
- If you have recruited with us previously, you may re-post your job by going to your 'Job Postings' tab.
- When submitting your job, create a room reservation to ensure you secure your preferred interview date. Alternatively, you may choose to conduct interviews remotely via Skype for Business or telephone within our business hours. Get more info about interview options on our Interview cycles and methods page.
Your service team, displayed on your WaterlooWorks dashboard, are available to help at any time. Use the 'Send A Message' button to connect with them.
To learn more about our hiring process, visit our website.
High-level overview of our hiring process is:
1. If recruiting a student for a new job for the Spring 2020 work term, click ‘Post a Job’ from your WaterlooWorks dashboard. You will need to include information on:
- Job summary
- Job responsibilities
- Required skills
- Remuneration (salary any other costs covered, such flights, local transportation, local accommodation, meals)
If you have recruited with us before, your job may be found/located in our WaterlooWorks job library. If so, you may be able to re-post for the new recruiting term.
2. We will notify you when you are able to review applications and select candidates to interview.
3. You may conduct interviews (Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. ET (local Waterloo, Canada time) if you want to use our phone or Skype resources. If outside these times, we can assist you and the students with scheduling your interviews for times that are convenient for you but are outside our standard business hours. Please let us know if you will be scheduling your interviews outside our standard business hours, and will not need to use our Skype/phone resources. If you face any problems during interviews conducted outside our business hours, please let us know immediately. We will be able to assist you the next business day.
4. Complete your candidate selection (rankings). Job offers must be communicated only through us officially. Please do not offer jobs directly to the students.
5. Our staff will contact you with the results of the entire process.
If your needs have not been met in the first recruiting cycle, our staff will be in touch with you to re-advertise the job again.
It is important that you understand and know your own employment authorizations and other legal requirements to enable our students to work in your company. We inform students that it is their responsibility to obtain the proper work authorization documentation (i.e., visa/work permit, etc.) to work with your company. If the student requires any documentation from you to support this process, they will be in contact with you directly.
The type and class of visa/work permit are determined by the issuing authority; it is beyond the scope of our service and expertise. However, if you have basic questions, please contact our International Employment Specialist at email@example.com.
To learn more about our hiring process, please visit uwaterloo.ca/hire/hire-waterloo.