Aspire. Inspire. Transform.
Waterloo's School of Public Health and Health Systems is training a new generation of leaders, researchers, and change agents, adept at thinking and responding to the complex adaptive systems that affect health and health care.
Together, we are seeking innovative solutions to some of the major health challenges of our time.
Meet our experts in:
- Chronic disease prevention and management - helping to analyse and improve national and international health policies and regulations of chronic disease through understanding and altering social, economic, political, and cultural determinants
- Food and water safety, security, and governance - examining the global health impact of food and water safety and security through epidemiology of food and water borne disease, nutrition management, and medical geography
- Global health - examining how globalizing processes impact economic development, health, healthcare and education
- Health and aging - taking an integrative approach to the biological, psychological, social, and environmental determinants of health and wellness focused on the life-course trajectory of aging in individuals
- Health and environment - investigating the impacts of the built environment, environmental degradation, urbanization, globalisation on population health
- Health informatics - developing and utilizing health sciences and information technologies to support and improve the status of individual and community health
- Health neuroscience and cognitive epidemiology - examining reciprocal relationships between lifestyle, lifespan development, and sociodemographic factors and brain health on the level of whole populations
- Health policy and health systems - investigating and evaluating health care systems and improving their integration and efficiency through the design of diagnostics, treatment, and analytic and assessment tools
- Healthy workplaces - examining occupational health and safety risks and designing interventions to improve health and wellness in the workplace and develop more effective safety management systems
- Mar. 27, 2020
Stay up-to-date with the latest information and advisories on the coronavirus.
Faculty members are also available to comment in media on various aspects of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Apr. 6, 2021
AI-powered symptom checkers can potentially reduce the number of people going to in-person clinics during the pandemic, but first, researchers say, people need to know they exist.
- Mar. 30, 2021
John Hirdes and George Heckman, both professors in the School of Public Health and Health Systems, have received a $500,000 New Frontiers Research Fund Global Grant, the first of its kind to be awarded to Waterloo researchers.
- Apr. 23, 2021
Featuring keynote by Dr. Cornelia Wieman, this event will highlight the ways in which members of Indigenous and racialized communities have been disproportionately impacted by COVID-19.