Enrolling in courses via "Quest"

First Year Health Studies and Public Health students are pre-enrolled in their required courses for the first term. All students are required to self-enroll into their Winter term courses and all subsequent terms. You are responsible to ensure that you are following your required sequence and meeting degree requirements.

You will course select online using Quest. This can be done during your Course Selection window which is approximately 6 months in advance to the start of the term or during the Drop/Add period. See the Registrar’s Office list of Calendar of Events and Academic Deadlines for more details.  For specific instructions, please refer to Registering For Courses from the Registrar's Office. 

Course Selection usually occurs over a 7 day period and you can find your dates/times on Quest. Use the Future Term Offerings list available through the Registrar’s Office to determine which courses will be available.

You will have the first two weeks of classes to add new classes, and the first three weeks to drop classes! Please use the SWAP function to make course changes. This will ensure you remain in the original course if the desired section/course is full.

If you have any problems with course selection, please contact an undergraduate academic advisor.

Back to top

Problems with enrollment?

If you are unable to enroll in a course using Quest there are a couple of things you should consider.

  • Is the class full?
  • Do you have the necessary pre-requisites?
  • Are there reserves (seats held for specific groups of students)?
  • Do you have outstanding fees?

You can answer these questions using the Enrollment Error Messages page, Schedule of Classes, your QUEST account and the Undergraduate Calendar. In some conditions you may contact the instructor to request permission to enroll. If they approve, have them sign a Course Override form and submit it to the Registrar's Office for processing.

HINT:  If the instructor does not agree to allow an override, you could watch enrollment numbers on Quest during the first week of classes.  If a seat suddenly becomes available you should be able to grab it.

Back to top

Add, swap, and drop courses

Add/swap courses

Courses may be added/swapped on Quest during your enrollment appointment or during the open enrollment period. You should check the Schedule of Classes to find out about the course revservs and seat caps, and check the Course Descriptions to find out about the pre-requisites requirement before making adjustments to your courses. Please refer to Calendar of Events and Academic Deadlines to check specific enrollment period and the last day to add courses for each term.

Drop courses

You are not normally permitted to drop required courses; however, you can usually drop elective courses depending on how many weeks of the term have passed. If you drop a course during enrollment appointments or open enrollment, an alternate elective should be added to maintain a course load of 5 courses each term.

When you are enrolled in only one course, you are not able to drop your final course without approval, as you must formally withdraw from the term.

Important dates to remember

Please refer to Important Dates with specific add, WD and WF deadlines. 

WD period (Withdrew – no credit granted)

Courses dropped between the WD period will continue to show on your transcript with a grade of WD. This shows that you attempted the course but dropped it during the term. There will be no numeric grade associated with the course.

WF period (Withdrew – failure)

Courses dropped after the WD period will receive a grade of WF and count as a failure (32%) in your average. Please consult with your Acadmic Advior if you are thinking of dropping a course on Quest during the WF period. 

Student cannot drop courses during the final examination peroid. The dates can also be found in the Calendar of Events and Academic Deadlines

Back to top

Enrolling in courses at Wilfrid Laurier University

If the course that you would like to take is listed in the University of Waterloo course offerings list with the division code “WLU”, you may enroll for the course as if it were a Waterloo course. If the course is not listed, you must follow the cross-registration procedures. Cross Registration forms are available on-line under Cross-Registration Form.

Enrolling in courses at another university

A student may request permission to take a course(s) at another university for credit towards their degree at the University of Waterloo if he/she has a "Good" Academic Standing. All courses taken on Letter of Permission will be recorded with a grade of CR and will not factor into average calculations. You need to submit the Letter of Permission Form to the Undergraduate Program and Scheduling Coordinator, and it must be accompanied by a detailed description of the course requested, the reason for the request, and any fees that may be associated with submission of the form.

Back to top

Department Consent Form for course enrollment

For courses that require department consent to enroll, you will need to complete the Department Consent Form. Please note the submission of the form does not guarantee enrollment. The form will be updated termly, and is usually accessible to students on the first day of course selection till the first week of school (specific courses may have different deadlines). You will refer to Announcement Board on LEARN Health Studies Student Community Group for full course descriptions. 

Back to top

Alternate Course Request for Degree Requirement

Please submit the Alternate Course Request for Degree Requirement Form if you are using a different course to fulfil one of your degree requirements. You should submit this form only after consulting with a SPHHS academic staff and received approval. 

Back to top