JOIN A TEAM THAT HAS GREAT CHEMISTRY (AND BIOLOGY, AND PHYSICS......)
About the team
Science ambassadors are a group of over 85Science undergraduate student volunteers who represent the Faculty of Science and the University of Waterloo at several recruitment events throughout the year. Ambassadors answer questions about Waterloo Science,offer their personal perspectives on what it’s like to be a current student, and ultimately, help future students decide if the Faculty of Science is a good fit for them. Ambassadors have a powerful impact; with compassion, tact, and intelligence, they help future students make the most importantdecisions of their lives.
The Science Ambassador training program gives you key responsibilities and an official title to put on your resume.
Successful applicants will:
- Attend required trainingand team-buildingsessions (once per term) to become experts, capable of answering parent and future studentquestions about Waterloo Science.
- Guide Science tours for prospective students and their families, to show off our Science buildings and facilities while sharing the student experience.
- Write personalized hand written congratulations/celebratory notes to admitted students.
- Participateduringon- and off-campus recruitment events as program booth representatives, science tour guides, and student panel members.RecruitmentEvents include Ontario Universities Fair, Fall Open House, March Break Open House, andYou@Waterloo Day.
- Participate in voluntary committees involved in recruitment projects such as event planning, marketing, and future Ambassador hiring.
- Be available to future students, their parents/guardians, and stakeholders for personal contact and shadow opportunities.
Have ahelpfuland proactive attitude andapassion for initiative
Haveacommitment to attractingthe best and outstanding students (leaders in service, academics, social justice, entrepreneurship, etc.)to Waterloo Science!
Minimum requirement of Good academic standing in your program
Acknowledge the responsibility of representing the University of Waterloo(e.g.being mindful of your online persona and its impact)
Have a thirst for knowledge and a passion for Waterloo Science!
How it typically works
All applicants will complete an online written application followed by an interview. Students who cannot make the interview with a valid reason will be offered an online interview. Successful candidates will be offered an invitation to the Science Ambassador Team.
- April/May: Applications open
- June: Online written applications due
- July: Science Ambassador in person interviews and online interviews
Be part of an enthusiastic team. Science Ambassadors form a close-knit group which meets every term for team building activities.
Get to know Science faculty and staff. At recruitment events, meet and connect with your profs and others connected with the faculty and the university.
Share your passion. Showcase your pride for science, your program, and the University of Waterloo and help future students make one of the most important decisions of their lives.
Be a featured student. Ambassadors arechosen to represent Science in printed materials including the brochure, and the Science websites.
Meet an EDGE requirement. Complete your 36 volunteer hours per term to meet the requirement to list the Science Ambassador role as one of your volunteer experiences.