All International Orientation Volunteers are accountable to the Student Success Office and the University of Waterloo to ensure the successful implementation of Fall 2023 International Orientation.
Nature and Scope
The University of Waterloo welcomes approximately 1200 international undergraduate students each Fall. The Student Success Office is recruiting three senior undergraduate or graduate students to assist with the planning and execution of several programs that support international students in their transition to life in Canada and Waterloo. This will include supporting Airport Pick-up, International Orientation, Waterloo Ready, and other programs.
International Orientation Volunteers must be flexible and exhibit strong leadership and teamwork skills. They must have a desire and passion for helping first-year international students and English Language Learners and must be aware of the needs of these students. They must be positive role models both personally and academically.
International Orientation Volunteers will provide key support and service to ensure that all orientation participants feel welcome and are comfortable navigating campus throughout the program. This includes but is not limited to:
• Upholding the principles, mission and policies of the Student Success Office, Waterloo Orientation and the University of Waterloo
• Providing positive and meaningful interactions with first-year students and their families
• Packing swag bags and collecting/assembling all session materials
• Serving as airport shuttle/parking lot greeters
• Offering check-in/registration support
• Assisting new students and their families with loading/unloading their luggage, and navigating UWaterloo residences to find their room
• Providing campus tour support and communicating information to participants as necessary
• Supporting the set-up and take-down of all sessions and events
• Encouraging student participation and engagement in social activities
• Supporting all other event logistics and execution as necessary
• Additional responsibilities might include supporting Airport Bus Pick-up services and assisting with webinar Q&As
Volunteers will be split in two specialist categories: Event Logistics Volunteers and Facilitator Volunteers. While the main responsibilities for each role will remain the same as above, Event Logistics volunteers will focus on behind-the-scenes initiatives like set-up and take-down of programs. Facilitator volunteers will focus on hosting sessions. A thorough breakdown of these roles will be shared during training.
• Registered UWaterloo student (undergraduate, graduate, first-year, or senior student)
• Knowledgeable about the first-year student experience and passionate about sharing your experiences
• Knowledgeable about campus services and supports
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills
• Exceptional customer service skills
• Experience participating in international or cross-cultural living and learning opportunities
• Willingness to take initiative to get things done and act as a role model
• Excellent problem-solving skills and good judgment
• Skill and ability to communicate in an additional language is an asset
• International Orientation Volunteer Training:
• International Orientation pre-event preparations and logistics: 5-10 hours per week during the period of August 19 – August 30 to prepare swag bags, gather/assemble event supplies, and review program schedule and logistics plan
• International Orientation: Thursday, August 31 – Saturday, September 2
Please email Allison Marlowe, Coordinator, International Student Experience at email@example.com with any questions or concerns.